upgrade to Lion (from Snow leopard)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by martinchivers, May 5, 2012.

1. martinchivers macrumors regular

I hope this is in the correct place (on the forum)...

is it worth spending my money, that I haven't got! on the latest operating system? Evan thought its only about £20.00, money is tight & don't particularly want to do it unless there is a benefit

There is also another one, coming soon (mountain lion)

If I upgrade now, will I have to pay again when mountain lion comes out? I have waited this long, so maybe wait & do mountain lion. I bought the mac, about 2 months before Lion came out & was told in the shop, that I would get an upgrade free, but didn't qualify for that!

Would the new operating system be more stable (its not unstable!) or faster? What are the advantages?

I do however spend around 9 hours a day in from of it!

Obviously, any input will be purely an opinion & maybe not everyone will agree!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to upgrade to a new OS version unless the version you have no longer meets your needs, or if a newer version has some new capability that you want or need. Many are still running Leopard quite successfully, with no compelling reason to upgrade.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

it depends on your needs. i had to upgrade to lion to use the latest version of xcode. if i didn't, i think i would have been just fine still using snow leopard.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm still happily on Snow Leopard. I have some old Macromedia software that will break if I upgrade to Lion, so I haven't done it.

5. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

thanks......!

thanks guys - If it aint broke, don't fix it! always a good rule!

One thing I think it does address, is that (now) when opening a program, it will take up maybe half or 3/4 of the 27 inch monitor. there is no way to pop it so that the program makes full use of the width (upon opening). Word does this, so I have to drag it every time.

I am right in thinking this is addressed with the new version.

Anybody any idea if pictures to exe is available for a mac yet? I have to keep a PC, in the office purely for making these client slideshows. it wasn't last time I looked.

6. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

SL is perfectly adequate. I downgraded from Lion on my air because a lot of the features were not needed and it was a little slower.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

By using the Mac App Store it's likely that Mountain Lion will be further cost over and above Lion. So if you buy Lion probably you will pay for ML as well.

It's fine if your current system works for you. If you don't need Lion's features, or the features of applications that require Lion, fine.

But develop a strategy for the future. Word will be around, but just make sure you don't heavily rely on software that isn't going to be upgraded. If you do, then you'll be hurting when you eventually upgrade.