Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I currently have some software (Office 2008, looking at you) that I need to have installed before I upgrade to Lion but my current setup has the stock Apple HD in my 2009 Mac Pro and 2x 1TB drives set in a single RAID0 partition.

Will upgrading my SL to Lion cause any issues with the RAID? Just curious as this will be my first time attempting it.

devynm37

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
I am wondering the same thing too. I have put Lion on my Macbook Pro, but my Mac Pro has not been upgraded out of fear of something going wrong. Recommend just backing up your RAID partition, as I will before I drop Lion onto it.

Ferrari904

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Massachusetts
I am afraid of the same problem. I've already had problems installing Lion. So much so, I have had to reinstall SL. I think I will retry soon. However it seems that the one feature that was appealing with Lion, the fact that you do not need a disk to do disk repairs and recoveries, is not offered if you have a RAID setup or "The disk has a non-standard Boot Camp partition setup, where further partitioning was performed after running Boot Camp Assistant, or the configuration that Boot Camp Assistant created was manually modified".

Its all right here on apples website, and this is what the install refers me to warning me, that I will not have this feature.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I am wondering the same thing too. I have put Lion on my Macbook Pro, but my Mac Pro has not been upgraded out of fear of something going wrong. Recommend just backing up your RAID partition, as I will before I drop Lion onto it.

Yeah I'm thinking about getting another external drive to clones my RAID parition as well as my main disk just to be safe. (Besides my normal Time Machine that is.) I have way too much critical data to even chance it.

kevinl777d

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Lion problem with Mac Pro RAID

Looks like there is a compatability problem with the software RAID in Mac Pro. My MP installs Lion OK and properly reboots after install. However, after that it gets stuck on the blue screen when booting and will not boot. It will boot in safe mode and I just discovered that if I remove the 2 HD's that are set up in RAID it boots fine.

I am on the phone with Apple support right now. It appears they have not run into this yet so, lucky me. I will repost with a solution if we find it. Please let me know if anyone else solves this.

Thanks!

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I upgraded my MacPro1,1 with the original (v1) Mac Pro Raid Card [RAID 5] from Snow Leopard to Lion with no problems whatsoever.

That said, I strongly suggest a validated backup before any upgrade...

Spidey!!!

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
Looks like there is a compatability problem with the software RAID in Mac Pro. My MP installs Lion OK and properly reboots after install. However, after that it gets stuck on the blue screen when booting and will not boot. It will boot in safe mode and I just discovered that if I remove the 2 HD's that are set up in RAID it boots fine.

I am on the phone with Apple support right now. It appears they have not run into this yet so, lucky me. I will repost with a solution if we find it. Please let me know if anyone else solves this.

Thanks!

Did you install the OS on the RAID volume? My issue is one of my RAID 0 volumes built by disc utility failed this morning. Yet both disc work fine by themselves. The RAID volume that failed for me is not my boot drive, it's just data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.