Upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 06Honda, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 06Honda macrumors regular

I am brand new to the mac world and am loving it. My new MacPro has Snow Leopard but i think i can get the Lion OS by going to the Apple store and ordering it for free. Should I leave things as they are until i get use to my mac and then upgrade or do it now. Not sure if the Lion OS would make any noticeable difference at my level. Feedback most welcome.

Paul
    Kingston, Ontario

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

According to Apple: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Therefore you should process your order asap, otherwise you will lose out on the free upgrade to Lion.

However that doesn't mean you have to install Lion in that timescale. You can download Lion and install it at some later point but you need to order it from apple within those timescales above.

Personally I haven't had any problems with Lion although some people are. Traditional advice was to always wait for the x.x.1 or even x.x.2 before upgrading.

I say if you are getting used to macs why not get used to the new way rather than spend time getting used to the old way and then having to learn the new way anyway.

You might want to look at the programs you will be using and see if peple are reporting issues with Lion etc. before making that final decision to upgrade or not.

3. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Another reason to upgrade now is that you'll have less stuff to migrate over, and you won't get stuck relying on software that won't work with Lion.

Many of the problems people have with Lion centers on their use of utilities and applications that don't work well with Lion. Move now and buy only stuff that has been verified to work with Lion and you'll avoid many of these issues.

Rob