Upgrade to Macbook Pro or Install an SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vilacr, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Vilacr macrumors regular

Hello macrumors!!!. it has been a long time since i last posted. I am at a dilemma. I currently have the '08 aluminum macbook uni-body with 8 gigs of ram. It has been a fine computer but I feel myself wanting to upgrade to a newer system. I am not a graphics artist or designer or anything most deem as needing a mac...for that matter I may not be your typical mac user. In the past I've built some pretty amazing windows systems...using LN2,extreme water cooling or whatever else i could find to increase my "horsepower". Maybe it is the engineer in me that makes me want more.....if you understand what i mean by that. Now that we have a little background should I upgrade to a newer macbook pro or just upgrade to an ssd in my aluminum macbook?

----------

Posted this earlier in the macbook forum.

2. simsaladimbamba

The typical Mac OS X user no longer consists of those stereotypes anymore, nowadays Jane and John Doe are the average Mac OS X user, coming from an iPhone or iPad, thus the route late Mac OS X releases seem to be going, the route of iOS (or looking and featuring a bit more from iOS).

While an SSD will improve the performance, the C2D CPU might be the one thing, that is hindering you. Depending on what you do (you have not stated that yet), an SSD upgrade might be enough, but you may also be a user, who just needs more processing power.

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

An SSD will breathe new life into your current machine and make it feel brand new. But, if it's in your budget, a new Mac is always nice. I would personally just slap an SSD into the existing Mac and use it until it falls apart.

Do you want to spend a few hundred on a new drive, or 10 times that on a new machine entirely?

4. Vilacr thread starter macrumors regular

[/QUOTE]Do you want to spend a few hundred on a new drive, or 10 times that on a new machine entirely?[/QUOTE]

I found a one day return at best buy for $1165. It has the i7 cpu and 8 gigs of ram. I figured that deal was to good to pass up.

As for what I use the system for...mainly travel and my huge photo library. I find iphoto works flawlessly with any camera or phone (android or iphone) i plug in.

5. Vilacr thread starter macrumors regular

My photo library is huge and iphoto works well with my current assortment of cameras and phones. I also found a one day macbook pro return for $1165. It is the i7 model with 8 gigs of ram. I figured this was a pretty good deal.

6. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I don't see a problem. :) Go for it!

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree!

8. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

That's a great deal. If it's still there and you truly want to upgrade, jump on it.