Upgrade to Mavericks 1st? Or TimeMachine drive 1st? ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmeisenzahl, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that the answer to this question is "either." But just to be sure. :)

I have a Mac Mini I bought 14 months ago, Core i5. 16Gb of RAM and I swapped out the base 500GB drive for a 256GB SSD that's been running fine.

I'm still on Mountain Lion. Getting ready to upgrade to Mavericks. But I'm also about to grab a 2-3TB USb drive to setup for TimeMachine.

A couple quick ones.

1. Can I partition a 2GB external USB drive with OS X into 2 drives? I was hoping I could use one drive for TimeMachine, and the other for whatever.

2. Does it make much difference whether I create the TimeMachine drive first, or upgrade to Mavericks first?

Thanks very much in advance,
    Chris

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Sure, that will work just fine.

2. I would make a full Time Machine backup before you install Mavericks in case anything goes sideways with the Mavericks install you can always use the Time Machine backup to roll back to before you have Mavericks installed.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! grabbed a 3TB Seagate drive. Partitioned to 2GB for TimeMachine, and 1GB for misc data. TM backing up now.

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

I hope you mean

Partitioned to 2TB for TimeMachine, and 1TB for misc data.

5. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops, yes. Got excited. Typo. :)

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Good. I'm glad it was just a typo. Because if they were really 2GB and 1GB you might have some problems (not to mention wasted money on the rest of the unused space)