Upgrade to mini display port

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mof, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. mof macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2010
    I want to upgrade the graphics card on an early 2008 Mac Pro I've recently acquired (2 x 2.8 Quad Core, 16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM, ATI HD 2600). I really want to hook it up to a new 24" LED Cinema display so need a mini displayport output and will be using the computer mainly for Final Cut / Flash / Indesign / Photoshop.

    My choices seem to be the Nvidia GT120 or the ATI HD4870 although I don't want to spend £280 on the ATI when (from what I gather) the 5870 could be out for Mac before long.

    I thought about just buying the GT120 for £100 and waiting to see what surfaces in the way of better upgrades, though I was told that 2 of these using SLI would spank the HD4870 and other more expensive and higher powered cards (an idea that really appeals as the cost would be right on my budget whilst giving me 4 output options).

    Alternatively I could ditch the 24" LCD monitor and eliminate my mini displayport conundrum (my MBP hasn't got mini displayport either) and get a different graphics card upgrade (the GTX 285?).

    This is my first post and my geek rating is about -90 (or less - I'm not sure how this is measured or what the units are) so forgive me if I sound thick but I haven't read anything that answers this question to any degree of certainty and there must be someone out there who has solved this to their satisfaction.

    Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your opinions...
  2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    Wait for the 5870. 2 GT120s won't be faster than 1 5870.
  3. mof thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks. Have you any idea of cost or release date?
  4. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    They're expected to ship with the next MP models, which there's indications between now and the end of June 2010.

    As per cost, figure an additional $100USD above current versions (PC). Apple's card won't be competitive comparitively speaking, as there's no competition.

    If you can wait a bit, it's likely someone will manage to extract the ROM from an Apple version to allow for flashing of PC models (others will almost certainly post on makes/models that will work).
  5. mof thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks guys, this is kind of what I expected.

    Considering: a) the time I'll have to wait; b) the massive price difference; is it really not worth me going for the 2 GT120 solution? (I have small budget and big impatience).
  6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

    Nov 30, 2008
    OS X does NOT support SLI or CrossFire and even if it would, the GT120 are not SLI compatible in the first place. They don't even have a bridge connector.

    Additional graphics cards in a Mac Pro running OS X gives you nothing than the support for additional displays.
  7. mof thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2010
    Ha Ha.

    I knew there'd be a catch - that solution seemed to good to be true.

    I think I'll sell the G5 and LCD Monitor and use the money to buy a PC (joke). Although the situation is making me fall slightly out of love with the Apple brand, from what i read, they really let themselves down on their graphics card options.

    I'll probably get the GT120for now and see what crops up in the next few months, though it feels like I'm putting wooden wheels on a Porsche.

    Thanks to all for your posts.

Share This Page