Upgrade to new airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm still using my old, round airport extreme and was advised by an apple rep to upgrade to the newer, square ones. He says its five times faster. But really, for $180, does that make much of a difference. Videos play fine, email loads fast enough, nintendo wii hooks up ok. Doesn't sound like I would get much of a boost from a newer one? Am I missing something or do you guys agree, and if it ain't broke.....

2. reLAXER564 macrumors member

reLAXER564

I purchased an airport extreme recently with the same hesitation you are expressing now and let me just say... it's fast. I was using an older Draft N Belkin router and it's range just wasn't cutting it. The new extreme is much much faster, has better range and is much easier to manage / set up. I would highly recommend it. The dual band is what makes it worth it for me (2.4 & 5 GHz).

I know Linksys and other competitors will have routers with similar speeds but I found it to be well worth the money.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Don't get the newest AEBS if you're not using Leopard/Snow Leopard or an Windows machine. You can't set it up with a Tiger or earlier Mac.

But, if you do have the required Mac/PC for set-up, I can tell you that the new AEBS is pretty slick. Better range and faster speeds (I currently only use 11g) than my old Netgear 11g. I have it my basement and I can easily connect on the 2nd floor without any issues.

It rarely drops the wifi signal, wheras the Netgear would require a reboot every week.