Upgrade to OS 10.8 - tied to Computer or My Apple ID?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by adk, Sep 17, 2013.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have a 2010 macbook pro that originally came with OS 10.6 back in the days when macbooks still came with install CDs. I later upgraded to 10.8 via download through the app store. I am now trying to sell this computer. I was able to erase the hard drive and reinstall OS 10.8, but I was asked to input my Apple ID and password before the install completed. I am wondering whether or not the buyer will be able to reinstall a fresh copy of OS 10.8 on the computer without entering my apple ID and password, and is it legal for me to sell the laptop with 10.8 installed?

Thanks in advance, and if this is a common question I apologize for not searching better!

2. Bruno09, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

You should sell the Macbook with Snow Leopard installed and updated (10.6.8 + security updates).

You bought Mountain Lion from the App Store, so it is tied to your Apple ID, belongs to you, and should not be "given" to the buyer.
    Selling the Mac with your copy of Mountain is not legal, and the buyer will be unable to update ML in the future.

The right way is to sell the Mac with the system that originally came with.

Then, the buyer will do what he wants : buy ML from the App Store or not.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1579864&highlight=sell+reinstall