Upgrade to other Mac OSX gives broken disk error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MatthiasV, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MatthiasV macrumors newbie

Hello

I have purchased Mac OS X Lion and started the upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6.8. During the install, I get an error that my HD is broken and needs to be repaired.

Things that I have tried to repair my disk:

- Run DiskUtility and click on repair disk (failed after three attempts)
    - Run DiskUtility and click on verifyPermissions (here I actually see that some permissions are wrong but the option to repairPermissions stays greyed out)

I have spend several hours looking for a terminal command to repair my permissions from the install menu's terminal but no luck. I can't go back to my original state as well since that doesn't work either.

Is there any way, that I can repair my permissions to give another attempt at installing Mac OS X Lion? Maybe the cause is different and somebody might help me here?

I can't launch to my old state so the only options I have is to make it work from the install menu or by deleting everything on my server and reinstall from my install DVD's.

Matthias

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

No amount of Repair Disk Permissions through command line or elsewhere will correct this. If the drive itself cannot be repaired, it must be erased, or better yet, repartitioned. If it cannot be repartitioned, you have a failed hard drive and need a replacement. Assuming you have a backup, best thing to do right now would be to repartition, reinstall 10.6, migrate your stuff, then update to 10.6.8 before retrying the upgrade ultimately to 10.7.

3. MatthiasV thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured that that would be the case ... A lot of work ahead. Thx for the reply.

Matthias