Upgrade to Quartz Extreme that wasn't fully functional on Tiger shipped?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gherkin, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

My memory is sort of foggy, but I seem to remember there being some issue with Quartz Extreme (or maybe it's successor?) that shipped with Tiger but wasn't fully activated because it wasn't complete.

I remember reading speculation here on MacRumors on when it would be activated (I guess it was thought that it would be updated through a 10.4.x update in Software Update).

Did this ever get fully activated? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else that had to do with Core Video or Quartz 3D or something. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No. Quartz Extreme was implemented fully in OS X 10.2 and has always been fully functioning in Tiger. It allows the GPU to concentrate on drawing windows whilst freeing up the CPU for other tasks.

HTH, David

3. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

So what the heck am I remembering? Was it something with Open GL?

There was definitely some feature (I think having to do with graphics) that shipped with Tiger that wasn't fully implemented, we were told Apple was working on it and it would be released, but then I can't remember what the resolution was.

4. dcr macrumors member

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

6. Blacky macrumors member

This is the cornerstone for resolution independence and RI will be in leopard, so yes I believe quartz 2D extreme will be in leopard or it will have been replaced by something similar.

I hope that when leopard comes out the ctrl-scrollwheel will also use resolution independance, that would be nifty to show people :)

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

There is considerable disagreement on whether or not Leopard will have RI...

originally it was supposed to be there. But then again, it was announced as a feature of 10.4, too. And we all know it's isn't REALLY a feature in the shipping version of 10.4.

Developers would know if it's fully implemented in 10.5 or not...