upgrade to Re-Jailbreak to 5.1.1

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I am trying to upgrade and re-jailbreak my phone tonight. I have the iphone 4 ATT with 5.0.1 JB and I want to upgrade and re-jailbreak 5.1.1.

My question is:

Do I have to restore to my CURRENT firmware first (5.0.1)?
Or can I just go on and upgrade to 5.1.1, re jailbreaking afterwards?

yui4

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted

You can upgrade via iTunes straight to 5.1.1 & then jailbreak on that

Comment

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
I suggest restoring to the newest iOS, not just upgrading!

Restoring will wipe your phone, and restore from backup. Upgrading will upgrade without wiping, that will still work, but will leave half a gigabyte of junk on your phone taking space but doing nothing.

Reason: The "disk" on the iPhone is partitioned into a system and a user part, the OS is on the small system partition, your stuff is on the user partition. When jailbreaking, all the built-in apps are moved from the system partition to the user partition to make space for tweaks needing to reside on the system partition. If you upgrade, all that stuff is reinstalled on the system partition, but is NOT deleted from the user partition. When you then jailbreak, both the old inactive and the new stuff will be on the user partition.

Also, when upgrading there is always the risk that some jailbreak stuff may interfere.

Finally, Absinthe works best if you wipe your phone, jailbreak, and restore from backup anyway.

Comment

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
The Devs recommend restoring first, absinthe use the restore function of itunes, you might run in to problems not restoring first.
Yeah i read that recommendation but also read about plenty of people not bothering and jumping straight in with no problems, so i did the same and have up until now had no problems.

Not restored any of the times before i've Jailbroken my iPhones (since 4.0)!

Comment

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Well Devs ussually don't recommend for nothing, and if you look at the forum there is plenty of problems around.

Putting your settings back only takes 5 min, putting apps back takes longer depending on how many installed.

Why the rush.

Comment

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
Well Devs ussually don't recommend for nothing, and if you look at the forum there is plenty of problems around.

Putting your settings back only takes 5 min, putting apps back takes longer depending on how many installed.

Why the rush.
Wasn't in any rush just didn't want to restore and then put everything (apps & music) back which takes hours.

Not had a single problem doing it this way.

Comment