upgrade to Re-Jailbreak to 5.1.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LaynieGorilla, Jun 5, 2012.

1. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I am trying to upgrade and re-jailbreak my phone tonight. I have the iphone 4 ATT with 5.0.1 JB and I want to upgrade and re-jailbreak 5.1.1.

My question is:

Do I have to restore to my CURRENT firmware first (5.0.1)?
    Or can I just go on and upgrade to 5.1.1, re jailbreaking afterwards?

2. yui4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

You can upgrade via iTunes straight to 5.1.1 & then jailbreak on that

3. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I suggest restoring to the newest iOS, not just upgrading!

Restoring will wipe your phone, and restore from backup. Upgrading will upgrade without wiping, that will still work, but will leave half a gigabyte of junk on your phone taking space but doing nothing.

Reason: The "disk" on the iPhone is partitioned into a system and a user part, the OS is on the small system partition, your stuff is on the user partition. When jailbreaking, all the built-in apps are moved from the system partition to the user partition to make space for tweaks needing to reside on the system partition. If you upgrade, all that stuff is reinstalled on the system partition, but is NOT deleted from the user partition. When you then jailbreak, both the old inactive and the new stuff will be on the user partition.

Also, when upgrading there is always the risk that some jailbreak stuff may interfere.

Finally, Absinthe works best if you wipe your phone, jailbreak, and restore from backup anyway.

4. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Absinthe also works fine without wiping your phone pre-jailbreak.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The Devs recommend restoring first, absinthe use the restore function of itunes, you might run in to problems not restoring first.

6. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Yeah i read that recommendation but also read about plenty of people not bothering and jumping straight in with no problems, so i did the same and have up until now had no problems.

Not restored any of the times before i've Jailbroken my iPhones (since 4.0)!

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Well Devs ussually don't recommend for nothing, and if you look at the forum there is plenty of problems around.

Putting your settings back only takes 5 min, putting apps back takes longer depending on how many installed.

Why the rush.

8. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Wasn't in any rush just didn't want to restore and then put everything (apps & music) back which takes hours.

Not had a single problem doing it this way.