Upgrade to Snow Leopard, and will you upgrade your RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Henry Li, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Henry Li macrumors member

I am curious about the system requirement of Snow Leopard. Since the performance and speed are better on SL, I think Snow Leopard will consume a little bit more resource of our macs., although I know Snow Leopard is just only the refinement of the software.

So, my question is that WILL YOU UPGRADE YOUR RAM OF YOUR MAC?

P.S. I'm a mac beginner. I know a little thing about mac, so please don't be angry with my limited knowledge. Thanks!!!

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I have not observed SL using any more memory resources than Leopard.

When I run my normal tasks (email, finder, iChat, Firefox, etc) I have about 2GB of RAM free when running under SL. That's about the same I saw under Leopard.

When I start running Sling Player, VMware Fusion and everything else, then I will use up all 4GB that I have.

3. Steve J. macrumors member

Well from my experience, my 2 year old iMac with 2GB of RAM runs Snow Leopard very well; I think it runs even better than Leopard did. And my new MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM just screams.

So from my experience, a RAM upgrade is definitely not needed.

4. Lordedmond macrumors regular

the amount of ram you need is more to do with what you do, than what OS you use

I use my iMac for photo editing ect and I was running out of ram 4gig so I have had to up it to 8gig.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't. (2 GB is the max in Core Duo Minis)

That being said, it's not really necessary as my Mini feels almost like a whole new computer with SL. The mini ran slow under Leopard; maybe it's part of the refinement?

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I must admit, I bought a 6GB RAM kit on the same day I ordered SL, but I had been flirting with that since I bought the Mac Pro, wasn't a thing I did because of Snow Leopards release.