"upgrade" to Snow Leopard on new Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Is it possible to install SL on the 2011 Air? Lion is a resource hog and you can't uninstall some of the reinstalled crapware (Chess, Calculator, etc. Perhaps SL will perform better with the hot new i5 processor and less fancy UI?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The new Air's will not run Snow Leopard. They kernel panic within five seconds of booting.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Has anyone tried installing Snow Leopard from within a virtual machine on the new Airs?

5. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Damn you Apple!
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3931

I don't know why I have to have Chess, Dashboard, and Automator? I don't use those apps. Can't remove them because "it's part of OS X". WTF?!

6. solmaker macrumors member

I don't know the answer to your main question, but if you want to move or delete Chess, etc., you can do so by opening each program's Properties, unlocking Sharing & Permissions, and setting all named groups to have Read & Write permission. In some cases, it's not possible to move a program even after unlocking permissions, but you should be able to Copy then Paste the program into another folder then move it to Trash. Emptying trash may fail for some system programs, but they can be emptied after rebooting.

For myself, I have no interest in deleting system programs, but I prefer to organize them into subfolders according to my own long-established system. This was a pain in the neck to do under Lion, but eventually was possible in all cases except for a few programs such as RAID Utility, Podcast Capture, etc. that Lion put in the Applications/Utility folder but would not allow me to hide away into a subfolder. But I can live with that.