Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whackurass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Hey all,

I'm currently using a MBP 13 inch and am running Leopard on it.

I just bought a copy of snow leopard today but i don't know if I should do a direct upgrade from leopard to snow leopard, or wipe my MBP and do a fresh install so i have snow leopard on a clean slate.

Have any of you tried the second option before? Or do any of you have advice on which path I should take?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You could do an upgrade and then if that has issues, then do a clean install. I first did an upgrade but found it sluggish and got few errors and then performed a clean install which solved them

whackurass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
my MBP seems a little more laggy these days and it takes longer to start up from when it is turned off.

I'm afraid if i do the fresh install i'll lose some of my critical apps though

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
my MBP seems a little more laggy these days and it takes longer to start up from when it is turned off.

I'm afraid if i do the fresh install i'll lose some of my critical apps though

You DO understand a full install competely wipes your hard drive, leaving the new OS as the only thing on the drive. If you have all of your "critical app" install discs and all of your data files backed up to a secondary drive, then a full install is okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.