upgrade to Snow Leopard or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Aug 27, 2011.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I tried researching this on MRoogle but I can't get the site anymore. maybe its down. I also looked this up on Google but most of the information was old.

I was just wondering. I am currently running some maintenance on my imac 2ghz. intel core 2 duo, 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram, and was wondering if upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 is worth it?

I just ordered more ram but am now wondering about the OS.

thanks,

cfs

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

snow leopard is like.. a better leopard. Most of the apps are tuned up and 64-bit. (which doesn't matter with 1 or 2 gb of ram but still). There is exchange support and it can get the most out of your hardware. Multi-core support is better etc.

Watch the 2009 WWDC keynote on itunes, there they'll name all the changes. I'm now running Lion, but i was always very happy with snow leopard

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

For what it's worth, I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard as long as possible for two main reasons.

1. I have a few Power PC versions of rarely used Apps that I don't want to spend cash on updating. For example MS Word 2004 and Photoshop Elements 4.0.

2. From what I've read, Lion is suffering a few teething/compatibility problems and , as far as I can see, it's upgrades are largely cosmetic and, in some peoples words - gimmicky. Therefore, I can see no real advantage to my changing OS's.

5. GGJstudios, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MRoogle site has been down for about 3 months, but you can get the same result by using a Google search and adding this after your search terms:
    site:forums.macrumors.com
    You can click "Advanced Search" on Google and date-restrict your search results.
    It depends on several factors. Does SL offer any features that your need or want, such as access to the Mac Apps Store? Do you have any apps that run on Leopard but may not run on SL? There isn't a whole lot different, in terms of functionality. As for myself, I don't see anything in SL or Lion that justifies upgrading. 10.5.8 does everything I need, and does it well. Upgrading would also disable some of my most useful tools, so I'm in no hurry at all.

6. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the tips.

cfs