Upgrade to Solid State Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by naquadah1, Mar 12, 2009.

1. naquadah1 macrumors newbie

I just got a 15.4" Macbook Pro (MB470LL/A), and i been thinking about putting a Solid State Drive in at some point. But i was wondering how i would find out the spec of the hard drive so that i know which drive would fit in the notebook.

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure they are 2.5 so they should all fit in the UMBP

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Almost all of the SSDs will fit. You need a 2.5" laptop sized SSD, which most are. You also need them to be SATA.

Also, some drives are 12.5mm high - Apple laptops need 9.5mm drives.

But most SSDs will meet that characteristic.

4. xoggyux macrumors 6502

there is little chances of buying the wrong one since most of them are 2.5" (laptop standard) and SATA (all modern laptops standard) so unless you buy a very problematic one (In which case you would realize before buying since the rating would say something about) you will be fine.

Check my thread on the standard 128GB G.Skill:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=ssd+128gb+skill
    Despite being far from being the best (in which case you would want to take a look at samsung and intel's and be prepared to spend $700++), is definitively the one of the best value for your money with about 128Gb for $220.

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

80 GB Intel SSB Enough Space?

I may have access to an 80GB Intel SSD. How much space would a slimmed down OSX take on a MacPro late 2008 uni-body? Probably not practical, but I can play with one for free for a while. It would be fun to hotrod.

6. naquadah1 thread starter macrumors newbie

i find there are SATA and SATA II, are the pins the same between the 2? i haven't used any SATA drives personally so i am not sure. because i want to know is would SATAII work ok.