Upgrade to SSD help - dual boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neotim, Jun 28, 2012.

1. neotim macrumors newbie

Hey all. I have an early 2011 MBP that I want to upgrade the HDD to SSD. It has two partitions with Snow Leopard on one and Lion on the other. I want to keep this exact setup and want to do the upgrade with as little change as possible (to hopefully avoid a bunch of reauthorizations with my music software, and I don't have a Snow Leopard disc).

I already have a Time Machine backup, but I'm thinking that CCC would be the best way. I plan to order an external enclosure to put the current HDD in and use for additional storage. What is the best procedure to do this? Thanks!

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

You would need to clone your existing mac partition onto the new SSD using CCC or SuperDuper. Once that is done use disk utility to partition the new SSD. The partition for windows should be the same you had before, not smaller then the amount you used. Start BootCamp assistant to format the just created windows partition into the windows file system needed. Cancel the BootCamp assistant after this has been done, before it start installation. There is a program called WinClone which is the best to clone the existing windows partition to the new windows partition. After that just but the SSD into the MBP and start up. Everything should be the way it was.

3. neotim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank The-Pro, but I don't have a windows partition, just 1 for Snow Leopard, and 1 for Lion. Can I do it this way?

- Clone drive with CCC
    - Swap the drives
    - Boot from Lion flash drive
    - Use Disk Utility to partition
    At this point, do I boot to the backup drive with my CCC clone?

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

My Bad :D
    Everyone asks about OSX and Windows partitions and it seems I didn't clearly read your post :D

Well I'd do it the following way:
    - Clone drive with CCC
    - Swap drives
    - Boot from the new drive
    - Use Disk Utility to partition as needed
    - Connect the HDD to the computer
    - Use CCC on the new SSD to clone the other partition from the connected HDD to the new partition on the now internal SSD

Then you will have both partitions on the new internal SSD and everything will be the way you had it before. ---> Just faster :p

Hope I didn't misunderstand or read something wrong again. I do not know what you mean with the question at the end :(

5. neotim thread starter macrumors newbie

No Problem... and Thanks! That helps a bunch!