Upgrade to SSD or buy new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OhAySis, Jan 12, 2015.

1. OhAySis macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 13" with upgraded ram to the max. Thinking about either upgrading to an SSD or maybe buying a new MBP. I don't use the thing for anything heavy by any means, mostly browsing and a bit of photoshop, but just have a bit of extra cash at the moment and torn what to do. Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Upgrading from a HDD to a SSD will feel like you bought a new machine. If you don't have demanding uses, that would be a more economical way to go, and you'd be very satisfied with the results!

3. bennibeef macrumors 6502

If you dont crave for a better display, the retina display, go with the ssd your machine will really feel like new and it never felt so fast. Save the bucks and get the, I dont know Macbook Pro 1-2 years maybe with Skylake.

4. dumaz macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro core 2 duo that I upgraded to 8gb of ram and a Crucial ssd. It feels much faster than before and basically feels like a new machine. Saved me from upgrading to a new laptop for about 2 years I hope. I don't do anything crazy with my laptop though.

5. Xeridionix macrumors regular

You would most likely be better served by upgrading to a solid state drive which will make your computer feel quite a bit quicker, and you'll be able to get at least a few more useful years out of it versus buying a new one at this point in my opinion.

6. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

What everyone else says. SSD makes the computer feel like brand new. I have the same model as you and its a beast with SSD and 16gb ram.

7. OhAySis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. 500gb SSD is sufficient, right?

8. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I'd say if you don't do video editing and/or have a huge iTunes library 256gb should be enough.

9. OhAySis thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a bit of music and photos/videos of the kids. Should be using the cloud for that stuff though!

10. Crugga, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

Crugga macrumors regular

SSD is the best upgrade of anything you can do I think and the prices now are ridiculous. I think a 500gb ssd is about the same as normal hd was 4 years ago ie cheap.
    You have little to lose anyway, do the upgrade and if you decide you want to upgrade to another machine still you will of added value to your old machine anyway.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

What is your current disk usage? That should determine how much space you need. In my case I needed 500gb as I was already using almost 300gb.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Crucial MX100 256 GB is $109.00 512GB is $214.00 on Amazon.

I have the 512GB model and it has been working great since install on 12/29/14

13. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Another vote for the SSD over buying a whole new machine!

I put in a 250GB Samsung 840 into my 15" machine from the same lineup back in the fall of 2013 and it was just a day-and-night kind of difference even compared to the faster 7200 RPM mechanical HDD. That's a big part of the reason why I'm still using it, or rather will keep using it once it comes back from having the motherboard replaced (my insurance company OK'd the repair today).