Upgrade to Tiger Question

muflyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
35
0
I am upgrading from Mac OS X 10.2.8 to Tiger Mac 10.4 plus and I would greatly appreciate any tips, suggestions, articles, etc. that anyone might be able to offer to make this as problem free as possible. Thanks, Chris
 

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
1,879
0
PA
You really don't have much to worry about. I would say backup your HD if possible. (Don't need to, but good measure) Make sure Tiger is supported for your system. What are the specs of what you want to install it on??

Kevin
 

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
5,396
7
San Francisco
That's a big jump in versions. There are plenty of guides all over the internet regarding Tiger (google is your friend). And once you get going you'll realize it isn't significantly different.
If you have a particular question go for that, but otherwise just do a few searches.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
First of all, you can't upgrade from 10.2.8 to Tiger directly. You need to do an Archive and Install - I recommend enabling the "Preserve users and network settings" option.

Also, check all your software to make sure you're up to date and that it's compatible with Tiger. This will help eliminate crashes and other problems once the install process is complete.

Finally, read up on Tiger's features (and Panther's, since you skipped it) so you understand what new stuff it provides and how to make best use of it.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,983
364
muflyer said:
I am upgrading from Mac OS X 10.2.8 to Tiger Mac 10.4 plus and I would greatly appreciate any tips, suggestions, articles, etc. that anyone might be able to offer to make this as problem free as possible. Thanks, Chris
Get as much RAM as you possibly can for your iMac. My iBook was sluggish as all hell on 256MB and we both run basically the same processor.

RAM is the key, bung in a 1GB stick.

Also, if you can backup all your info and stuff, do a full erase and install. If not, I never had any problems with Archive or Update. Just seems to be a good idea to wipe any trace of Jaguar on our machine off the face of the planet.

Hell, backup your data anyway.

When you do finally install, it will seem much slower - this is due to Spotlight indexing your hard drive. It only needs to do it once so your best bet is just to leave it (won't take too long) to do it's thing and then start using your new OS.

Play around with Exposé - it's the feature I miss the most when not using 10.3 or 10.4.

Do all the software updates before you start fiddling around - this will make sure your system is completely up to date.
 

muflyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
35
0
Thanks for the suggestions. You indicate to update all software before the install. For instance, I am also upgrading to iLife 06 with this upgrade. However, I assume I should wait until Tiger is installed before I do that, right? Also, and I realize this question should be in the Mac basics forum, I have an 80GB hard drive, what is the best way to do my backup and on what media should it reside (my hard drive, a CD/DVD, separate hard drive, etc.)? Thanks.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
muflyer said:
Thanks for the suggestions. You indicate to update all software before the install. For instance, I am also upgrading to iLife 06 with this upgrade. However, I assume I should wait until Tiger is installed before I do that, right? Also, and I realize this question should be in the Mac basics forum, I have an 80GB hard drive, what is the best way to do my backup and on what media should it reside (my hard drive, a CD/DVD, separate hard drive, etc.)? Thanks.
As far as upgrading software:

If the new version does NOT require Panther/Tiger, upgrade now.
If the new version REQUIRES Panther/Tiger, wait until after Tiger is installed.

Backing up:

An external hard drive is preferable, combined with a program such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. However, if that option is not available, the next best thing is backing up your user folder to CD or DVD (using multiple discs, if needed).
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
Here is a similar question to muflyers, I have a new Intel Mini coming and my wife has a 1.42 Mini with Jag. Does the new OS Tiger that comes with Mini have both a PPC version & Intel version in the OS so that I can take her computer to Tiger? Also should I bother putting such old software from her Mini on my new machine? Im thinking of walking away from any old PPC apps and going to strictly Intel Native stuff.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
Dont Hurt Me said:
Here is a similar question to muflyers, I have a new Intel Mini coming and my wife has a 1.42 Mini with Jag. Does the new OS Tiger that comes with Mini have both a PPC version & Intel version in the OS so that I can take her computer to Tiger? Also should I bother putting such old software from her Mini on my new machine? Im thinking of walking away from any old PPC apps and going to strictly Intel Native stuff.
Sadly, no. Tiger is not a fully Universal OS yet. It is available in separate PowerPC and Intel builds - hence the separate software updates for PowerPC and Intel Macs. This will end with the release of 10.5 "Leopard" - that OS will be fully Universal, and you'll be able to take it from one Mac to another, regardless of processor type.

Of course, this will mean our software updates will get bigger... in some cases, MUCH bigger.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,983
364
Dont Hurt Me said:
Here is a similar question to muflyers, I have a new Intel Mini coming and my wife has a 1.42 Mini with Jag. Does the new OS Tiger that comes with Mini have both a PPC version & Intel version in the OS so that I can take her computer to Tiger? Also should I bother putting such old software from her Mini on my new machine? Im thinking of walking away from any old PPC apps and going to strictly Intel Native stuff.
Your wife's mini doesn't have Jaguar. She either has 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger - it's impossible to load Jaguar onto a Mac mini.

If you have an Intel Mac mini, the version of Tiger that came with it won't work on a PPC mini as Tiger isn't Universal yet - there are separate builds for Intel and PPC processors.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
Chundles your right! I just checked and its 10.3.9. I have been using a PC for over 2 yrs now and had forgot what she had. Thanks for the responses people.
 

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
885
136
California
wrldwzrd89 said:
First of all, you can't upgrade from 10.2.8 to Tiger directly.
Where did you get that info? 10.0 or 10.1 cannot be upgraded via easy install, but 10.2 should be no problem.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
VanNess said:
Where did you get that info? 10.0 or 10.1 cannot be upgraded via easy install, but 10.2 should be no problem.
As far as I understand, the upgrade option isn't available if you're not going from 10.X to 10.X+1. I'm basing this on past experience - I know for a fact that you can't do a 10.0.X to 10.2.X upgrade install. I'm assuming that applies to 10.0.X -> 10.3.X, 10.0.X -> 10.4.X, 10.1.X -> 10.3.X, 10.1.X -> 10.4.X, and 10.2.X -> 10.4.X installations also, though I have no way of testing those possibilities, since I lack a Mac old enough to support those older Mac OS X versions.
 

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
885
136
California
wrldwzrd89 said:
10.2.X -> 10.4.X installations also, though I have no way of testing those possibilities, since I lack a Mac old enough to support those older Mac OS X versions.
Nope. Tiger's installation guide pertaining to upgrades is quite clear in that 10.0.x and 10.1.x cannot be upgraded, but those OS X versions are the only exceptions. From the 10.4 Tiger installation and setup guide:

If you already have Mac OS X v10.2 or later installed on your computer:
All you need to do is upgrade to Tiger.