Upgrade to Tiger with No DVD Drive or Second Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maximusimo, Nov 25, 2007.

1. maximusimo macrumors newbie

Hi

G4 running 10.3.9. I have received my dvd of Tiger but my G4 does not have a DVD drive so i cannot upgrade. I dont have another mac i could use to connect the two via firewire and upgrade that way so that option is out the window. I do have a pc though. I created an iso from the dvd on the pc and copied it to the mac, mounted it and clicked on the installer. It asked for my system password and restarted but nothing happens after that. Is there any other option? I also have a network drive i use for storing files from both computers and wondered if it would be possible to network boot from this?

All help much appreciated, would like to upgrade ASAP.

Max.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If the ISO is on the Mac, open Disk Utility when its mounted, select it, and click Restore to a connected drive. Once that is done, restart the Mini holding the option key to boot off it :)

3. maximusimo thread starter macrumors newbie

psychofreak thanks alot, that worked a treat. I wish i had just posted here in the first place instead of wasting loads o time trying other things.

Anyway, previously in 10.9.x i could connect to my pc shares, etc, with no problems at all. Now i cannot connect at all. When i try to connect in Finder i type in smb://192.168.2.2 (pc address) but no shares come up, nothing happens when i click connect. Although i can still connect to the net over the same router as the pc and can ping the pc with no problem.

Any ideas?

Max.

4. maximusimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Its ok,

once i ran the Software Update all network connections worked again.
    Max.

5. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I was actually considering buying a G4 computer for the girlfriend.... it has no DVD drive... but I want to put tiger on it. So, did this method work for you? I could make an iso and send it to the computer, right? The ONLY thing is, does 10.1 Puma have that same disc burning utility? or am I stuck.