Upgrade to used mid-2012 13 inch worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdourado, Dec 15, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    How are you?
    I am seeking advice to decide if I should purchase MacBook.

Currently I have an aluminium 13 inch MacBook.
    It has a 2.4 C2D with 4gb of ram, nvidia 9400 and an upgraded 750gb momentus XT drive.

I use the MacBook to manage my music library with iTunes (around 270gb), do some general web browsing, emails, iWork and it is pretty much it.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used mid-2012 base model 13 inch with an i5 2.5, 4gb and 500gb HDD.
    The asking price is 650 euros. The MacBook is complete with original box. It has no dents, but has some scratches on the bottom and on the top lid.

I am in doubt wether it is worth the upgrade or if I should continue to use my current MacBook and wait until next gen retinas or if I should spend more on another model, like a retina 15 or even an iMac.

If you were in my position, would you buy this MBP?

Thank you.
    Cheers!

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I would not. For your needs, I think your current MacBook is perfectly adequate. I would upgrade the RAM to 8GB though. OS X loves lots of RAM.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not think it would be a wise investment in your scenario since your MacBook is handling everything you need and still has room to grow in terms of RAM and hard drive. You can throw 8GB of RAM and an SSD as the boot drive and your MacBook will fly. The new MBPs were just released in October so if you are going to buy one it is a fine time to get one. That being said, you have an upgradable machine doing everything you need it to, so why throw money out the window yet. Now if parts started to fail or if it looked like it had be thrown out of a UPS truck going 70 MPH then maybe a replacement MBP would be in order. I just cannot justify it in your scenario.