Upgrade to Verizon iPhone 4 or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarximusMG, Jan 13, 2011.

?

Upgrade to Verizon iPhone 4 or Wait?

1. Upgrading now, will skip iPhone 4S

33.3%
  2. Upgrading now, will sell iPhone 4 for iPhone 4S

23.5%
  3. Waiting for iPhone 4S

43.1%
  1. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm a current Verizon customer, eligible to upgrade. I've been waiting for the Verizon iPhone ever since the original iPhone made its debut. But now that it's finally here, I'm wondering if upgrading to it immediately is the smart thing to do.

My only fear is the obvious: if I choose to upgrade now, and Apple releases the next gen iPhone for Verizon (I'll call it iPhone 4S for the sake of this discussion), I may wish I had waited.* Then again, if the upgrade wasn't available to Verizon for some reason (or the upgrade was too insignificant to warrant another purchase) and I had waited, I'd kick myself knowing that I could have had the iPhone 4 the entire time.

As of now, I'm planning on upgrading in February. Then, if there is an upgrade in June/July that is significant, I'll sell my iPhone 4 and buy the 4S at full retail price.

So what are your plans, and why?

*I realize that if you constantly wait for the next best thing, you'll never end up making a purchase, and will always be without the product. But since I feel that we're closer to a possible upgrade, I just can't stop thinking about this. And I know that several threads have been started relating to this topic, but I have yet to see an actual representation of what we're all planning on doing.

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

well, the iphone 4 will probably be sold out for at least 2 or 3 months. Will the really update the phone 2 months after it was nearly impossible to find? Highly unlikely. They are going to make a killing on this phone. They are going to want it out longer than 5 months before the next one. More likely is that the 6th iteration of the iphone will be dual (ATT & Verizon) LTE.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Technology never stops progressing, their will always be something better around the corner.

If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you will always be waiting.

4. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

There's a part of me that believes that. And I'd love it if that happened. I really do think that the phone will be in high demand for that timeframe as well, and the thought of them introducing a newer version while it is still selling well seems strange to me. But as I've been reading other discussions, I've seen it mentioned that Verizon may do with the iPhone 4 what AT&T has done with the 3GS (i.e. lower the price to $99 to entice more people, while they simultaneously release a new generation iPhone). And unfortunately, I think that this is a possibility as well.

I totally agree. Which is why I said what I did in my original post. In the past, I've been fin with my Apple products not being the best of the best forever. Even when they were "outdated" by something else, I continued to enjoy the hell out of them. But I feel that the release of the Verizon iPhone 4 is so close to WWDC that I should at least take a step back and consider my options.

5. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Yeah, I get it. There are plenty of discussions on this topic already (as I acknowledged in the original post). But this is the first with a poll. I'd like to see numbers from this community regarding what everyone's plans are.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Stop posting this. You're annoying.

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Your poll is welcome.

Others are free to look at why they are judgmental and bent on acting as they are.

8. cncrim macrumors newbie

iphone 5 is around the corner, why not wait for that.

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Honestly what great things can the 4GS bring? I can't think of none that would appeal me.

The Iphone4 is just so snappy and fast, wouldn't be outdated in 1 year.

Buy it now.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing any compelling reasons why you'd want to get the iPhone 4, three to four months before the iPhone 5 is rolled out.

I'm also on verizon and I'm very happy with my droid x. For me its a simple decision because my company is shutting off access to the corporate email for non iPhone/Blackberry devices. I'll be getting an iPhone, but I see no reason to rush into this.

I may opt back to AT&T instead of VZW, one thing that I hate, is the idea that VZW loads crapware on my phone. If they do that to the iPhone and prevent me from uninstalling it, I'll just head back over to AT&T

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

At least I answered the question, unlike you, but thanks for playing. BTW you might want to avoid the iPhone threads. They're usually annoying.

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I've read that Apple is keeping Verizon from doing so (just can't remember if I read that here or at macdailynews.com).

At any rate, I will be waiting for the LTE version of the AT&T iPhone, whenever it comes out. Why AT&T? Good coverage in my area (I'm lucky, I know others aren't as fortunate) and corporate discount (again, lucky)...

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple stated at the VZW press conference Q&A session that there will be no carrier software (read: crapware) loaded on the iPhone.

14. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well there's 2 scenarios, whether its released at the same time for VZ and the rest or not.

1) The 5th gen iPhone will be a total revamp--inside and out.

2) The 5th gen iPhone will use the same form factor as i4 but will be faster, have more memory, more RAM, better camera.

I think number 2 is far more likelier this time around, and no 4G even if number 1 happens. So...think about it this way, if you had bought an iPhone 3G in February of 2009 and saw the 3GS unveiled in July 2009 would you have felt terrible about the fact that you were under contract for another while? If only you had just waited! Or do you think you could have been able to skip the 3GS and get an iPhone 4 by September 2010 just 2-3 months after the iPhone 4 was unveiled? How much worse would you have felt to get a 3GS 6 months before the totally new iPhone 4 was released?

I'm not going to wait, I can live with an iPhone 4 for 20 months easily. It will suck if the 5th gen is something totally new...but I don't think that's likely. By the time I'll be able to upgrade the iPhone 6 gen will have come out and all those people who decided to wait for a "4GS" will be the ones wishing they had less time left in their contracts to get a totally new, and LTE compatible phone.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd wait. The more people who wait, the more inane threads and polls we get. It's a win-win. :D

16. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm sure there are upgraded specs coming along with the next generation that may be tempting, but I'm feeling better about my decision to purchase now.

Another thing that I've been thinking about... Over the many years that I've been following Apple, I've noticed one recurring theme regarding the speed at which they update products. The Apple community will have set predictions about what features an upcoming product will have, and Apple very often releases the product with an underwhelming set of features (compared to these predictions). Don't get me wrong. These products are still incredible, but there are almost always features that are left out which could have very easily been included. I can only assume that the next generation iPhone will follow suit. While there is the possibility for this next iteration to be miles ahead of the current iPhone, I think it's safer to say that the updates will be more reserved, rather than monumental.

I think that you hit it on the head. I also feel that the second scenario is much more likely. And looking back on the 3G - 3GS update, I would most likely have skipped the 3GS update, if I had an iPhone at the time. Another reason I feel comfortable with the decision I've made about getting the iPhone 4 next month. I would definitely prefer to be in the position to upgrade when the phone is completely redone, rather than getting the slightly updated version of the current generation.

17. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

Upgrade now

The 4S will come out in June for AT&T

Iphone 5 will be out in 2012 with LTE.

If i can get a iphone 4 with one year contract, that would be best.

18. msavwah macrumors 6502

If I were on Verizon waiting years for the iPhone I would wait a few months more until June/July and then jump on board.
    I know the temptation would be hard, as I have purchased the original iPhone, the 3G and IP4 on the first day they were available.
    I also know all of Apples typical refresh cycles and only buy late if I really need to.

Depends on want vs need and if you have the cash to pony up again in 4 months should there be a new version on Verizon.

19. patohi macrumors regular

I was wondering if I should wait as well, but I think I will pre-order feb 3rd... And hey you want to know what the iphone 4gs/5 is gonna be like??? I'm sure it will have the same display... ummm maybe better camera, 32gb to start, maybe LTE thats maybe! kinda like what they did with the first iphone with the no 3g..... and THE BIGGIE thing here is wait for the specs on the ipad2 to come out!!!! It will have the same guts as the next iphone!!! so if the processor bump is not very exciting then get the iphone4... if the new ipad has the arm9 duelcore then I'd prob get the next iphone.....

20. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

agreeee x 10000

21. kk08053 macrumors newbie

The iPhone 4 is already a sweet piece. Although they can continue to upgrade and improve it, my guess is that we're not going to see earth shattering changes with the next generation. We already know from past history with AT&T that Apple would probably prefer to wait and let Verizon's LTE network work out the kinks for a year before they hop onboard, so you're really looking at summer 2012 before we see that iPhone. Knowing all that, what are you REALLY gonna gain by waiting? Is that gain worth REALLY worth waiting another six months after 4 years of not having the iPhone as a choice if you are dedicated to Verizon? I say get it. I'm planning on it for myself.

22. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

If you take care of it, in 6 months you can upgrade (assuming you have 399/499 prices) and break even (maybe even make money). For me it's different because I have to deal with a new iPhone in 6 months, an ETF, Verizon's screwy 5000, no truly unlimited texts (can anyone clarify I'm a little confused...), not actually being disappointed with AT&T...

23. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

100% agree with you. The longer I think about this, the more certain I am that I'm making the right decision by getting it February 10.

24. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I say wait but thats only cause I already have an iphone 4 haha. so if I had to be on verizon then id probably get it feb 3rd. but id be totally pissed off if I bought an iphone 4 and thew new one came out 4 months later.