Upgrade to Vertex 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I currently have a 2010 MacBook Pro with a 240GB Vertex 2 SSD, since the laptop is SATA II.

The drive has worked flawlessly from day 1, and I have noticed no slowdown. I'm pretty sold on the controller used.

Now that my new MacBook is coming, which is SATA III, originally I was planning to move my Vertex 2 SSD into it, but Im wondering whether I should sell the SATA 2 and stick the £40-odd more into it and get the Sata III Vetex 3 240GB drive instead?

Although I may not see an huge inscrease in read/write speeds, Im wondering whether the garbage collection etc will have been improved due to the newer SandForce controller??

Yay or nay??

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

For your day to day tasks, your not going to see a huge increase.

And the money your will loose selling the 2 to upgrade to a 3, I would keep the 2.

Anyway, have a read here. Read the real world tests, as this is the most appropriate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Cheers, I'll read up on that - I have some vouchers to make up the difference, hence why I was thinking of upgrading.
    Im not expecting a huge change in speeds, it was more the controller instelf, garbage collection, and general efficiency I was looking at.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p