Upgrade to Yosemite clears Messages?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by djtech42, Jul 18, 2014.

1. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Is there a way to upgrade to Yosemite without clearing my messages?

I upgraded to DP1 when it came out, but it got rid of everything in the Messages app, so I had to restore using Time Machine back to Mavericks.

Is it possible to upgrade straight to DP3 and does it still clear the Messages app?

2. mitchsaunders macrumors 6502

Nup. I went on DP2, and then updated to DP3 - my recent contacts in the order of messages sent/received were there, but were cleared...

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Don't think you can go from DP1 to DP3 because DP2 and DP3 are deltas. You shouldn't lose messages going from DP1 on up.

4. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

I had a problem with Yosemite, this is what happened to me and i've reverted back to Mavericks so i'd be interested in any replays to.
    I have Yosemite DP 2 I am trying to install it on a seperate partitian on this Mac but its not notifying me of DP3 or when I go to sync iTunes with my iPhone 5 it says there is a newer update of iTunes available , I must install it befor I can Sync. But it sas after looking for updates that none are avaiable. I don't know if its because IOS8 is on my iPhone but I have lost the photos Tab also when trying to sync. Or I wonder if its because I have a large library of tunes?

5. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

Well, I upgraded to DP3 and it kept the contacts in the left sidebar, but cleared the messages. Looks like it is back to Mavericks for now. DP3 is also a lot more buggier than I expected (almost seems worse than DP1).

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

This was a known issue in DP1 stated in the release notes.

7. djtech42 thread starter macrumors 65816

djtech42

Can anybody update us on how messages are treated in DP4? Hopefully they fixed the bug.

8. goldenscars macrumors newbie

same, would love to know the status on DP4 clearing message content. On DP1 i had the list of contacts I had last conversed with but zero content

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

i had DP3 just updated to DP4 and my messages r still there

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Has anyone figured out a fix for this?

I have my chat.db backed up from Mavericks and want my messages to be in sync on Yosemite

11. goldenscars macrumors newbie

also, even if its successful, who knows if your messages will be preserved with future DPs or even the public beta. I'm a bit neurotic about having the history of my messages, so it would suck to lose even a couple of weeks if the DPs don't play nice with old messages

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

There has got to be a way to import the chat transcripts saved in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages into Messages.app, right?

13. goldenscars macrumors newbie

yeah there is but it really depends on whether apple rewrites anything... if messages won't open those files than you're sort of SOL... other issue is you definitely can't go backwards. i've tried... won't work. if you run yosemite for a week or two and try to go back you'll have to revert those files from library from a TM backup