Upgrade? Unibody MB 2.0 C2D vs my current MBP 2.0 CD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by monkeybongo, Mar 13, 2009.

  1. monkeybongo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Hey guys,

    Just wanted to get some feedback on if I should trading my MBP 2.0 CD with one of the nifty unibody MB 2.0 C2D models. Would I actually see any significant performance difference with the GPU and CPU? How much would I have to pay to sell my MBP and purchase the MB and is it worth the cost?

    My laptop is working amazing but my applecare warranty is expiring and the battery is just about dead as well so I thought I'd post the question up.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    A slight improvement in the CPU and GPU department. Given the age of your MBP and the battery's condition it might just be time for that replacement. ;)

    I'd say getting more RAM and 64-bit support would be the biggest gains. Did I mention the easily replaceable hard drive?
     
  3. alexbates macrumors 65816

    alexbates

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #3
    You probably wont see much difference in performance but the computer is much better itself because of the aluminum and multi-touch. I would trade it in since your battery is also about dead.
     
  4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #4
    Check to see what models similar to yours is selling for on ebay and craigslist.

    Max the ram if you haven't already done so, and buy a replacment battery if your current rig meets your needs. Buy a new system only if you can sell it for a decent price, or if you're losing money/productivity with every processor cycle that goes by.

    Use what you've got until it no longer meets your needs or until it breaks. If you're getting by with your core duo, by the time it breaks you could probably get a quad core for the same price in a year or two as today's c2d MB's.
     
  5. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #5
    I would say to just max out your current MBP. You get a bump in processor power (not sure about GPU), but a downgrade in screen quality and size and less inputs/outputs if you go with the new MB. You can save your money for a refurbished unibody MBP, or even wait till they update the current line.
     
  6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #6
    Keep your MacBook Pro. I would rather have my PowerBook than a unibody MacBook because the unibody MacBook's don't have Firewire.

    1440x900 15 inch screen > 13 inch 1280*800 screen unless you want the smaller size but the resolution sucks on both.

    FW 400 > USB 2.0

    backlit KB > regular KB

    2.0 GHz CD < 2.0 GHz C2D

    2.0 GB < 6.0 GB

    thats three points for the MBP and 2 for the MB

    I would keep your MacBook Pro because of the screen and FireWire ports alone
     

Share This Page