Upgrade using apple program and decide not to keep

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Ok can’t find an answer to my question, I have a JB ip7 and am eligible to upgrade with the apple upgrade program, how long do I have before I need to send in my ip7 to apple? So for instance I’m fine with my 7 but want to upgrade because i like a few of the things about the ipX but let’s say 5 days into it I decide that the X is not living up to my expectations can I send the X back and keep my 7 ? Is there still the 14 day return with the program? Has anyone done this say with the 8 recently and what was there experience?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Ok the answer [I believe from what I read] is no.

When you trade in your iPhone 7, you are closing out that loan for your iPhone. There is no way to "re-open" that loan up. That phone is now gone, off to the land of "Apple returned iPhones"

When you buy your iPhone X, you are now opening a new loan for your iPhone. If you return your iPhone X, Apple / Citizen's One closes that loan as well.

Now, you do not owe anything, because you do not have a phone or a loan.

So now, you choice is to buy your iPhone 7 in cash, or pick up an iPhone 8 using the iPhone Upgrade Program and run another credit check.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Cause I’m at work and figured with the diversity we have on this forum someone has been thru this. Thanks
You can get chat support on Apple website directly. I’m assuming you can do that seeing you’re able to post here while at work.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Ok the answer [I believe from what I read] is no.

When you trade in your iPhone 7, you are closing out that loan for your iPhone. There is no way to "re-open" that loan up. That phone is now gone, off to the land of "Apple returned iPhones"

When you buy your iPhone X, you are now opening a new loan for your iPhone. If you return your iPhone X, Apple / Citizen's One closes that loan as well.

Now, you do not owe anything, because you do not have a phone or a loan.

So now, you choice is to buy your iPhone 7 in cash, or pick up an iPhone 8 using the iPhone Upgrade Program and run another credit check.
Yeah but if you’re upgrading with the program then presumably Apple will provide some time to return the 7. OP could possibly keep it within the 14 days if he / she gets in touch with Apple directly to explain the situation which will mean Apple stopping the new upgrade and just continuing with the old one. There’s a chance of course.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Ok can’t find an answer to my question, I have a JB ip7 and am eligible to upgrade with the apple upgrade program, how long do I have before I need to send in my ip7 to apple? So for instance I’m fine with my 7 but want to upgrade because i like a few of the things about the ipX but let’s say 5 days into it I decide that the X is not living up to my expectations can I send the X back and keep my 7 ? Is there still the 14 day return with the program? Has anyone done this say with the 8 recently and what was there experience?
If you are doing upgrade program through mail, you have 14 days to return previous phone (at least this what store app was saying ). So all you need is to return either phone, if you return iP7, that loan will paid off, if you return X, that loan will be canceled and funds paid in returned.

StoneCold X

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
I believe that I read if you do not send your current phone to them within a certain period of time, that they will keep your old loan open.

If you are unhappy with the X, then you should be able to return that within the normal return period which will then close out the new loan.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
You can just contact them when you decide not to keep it (within return period) I expect Apple to be very forgiving on this