Upgrade video card?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by egyptianeyes, May 30, 2009.

1. egyptianeyes macrumors newbie

I like playing computer games, and my BlackBook runs it fine. I just would like a little more fps. So I was wondering, if I could upgrade my graphics card...GMA X3100 144 MB shared memory. I wanted to know if I could upgrade it, if so, can you suggest some graphics cards? I am also going to upgrade to 4GB RAM. I know that will help with fps, but still. Thanks in advance! :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't have a graphics card so there is nothing to upgrade. Your graphics are provided by part of the Intel core-logic chipset. The chipset is soldered to the logic board, is not removable and is not upgradable.

The only way to upgrade is to buy a new laptop.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I don't think you can upgrade the video card. Apple keeps pretty tight control on these types of things.

4. egyptianeyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats aggravating... I know the new macbooks have much better graphics cards... Would me using vista to play help with graphics and downloading drivers?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It has absolutely nothing to do with "apple control." It's due to the fact that intel integrated graphics are part of the chipset and not a discrete "card" like higher end desktops possess.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Using Vista might help with gaming, but it won't add a graphic card to a MacBook that doesn't have one. :cool:

7. relativist macrumors regular

That's one of the reasons I bought my new macbook, the nVidia graphics are much better than my old macbook, which I still have for sale (only put up one craigslist ad so far). I stuck with the white macbook because I wanted to keep firewire and had accessories I wanted to continue to use.