Upgrade Vista to 7 on leopard

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chundel, Sep 25, 2010.

1. chundel macrumors newbie

Hi I have Leopard and have installed vista I cant get the multi touch and keyboard shortcuts to do anything (unless someone knows how to fix that) I have given up, I know that I cannot install windows 7 from leopard because apple said so, but what if I was to upgrade vista to 7 from within vista would it work? because I know that the troubleshoot compatibility trick will work. anyone know if it will work?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, the drivers are provided by BootCamp. Only Snow Leopard's BootCamp includes the Windows 7 drivers.

3. chundel thread starter macrumors newbie

thats not the point I can borrow the CD for the drivers I just need to get the computer to boot into windows 7 could that be possible via upgrading vista?

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

There's a confusion on the two versions of bootcamp. One is the one found within both leopard and snow leopard called bootcamp assistant. That will create the partition for windows and setup the bootloader so you can install xp, vista, or windows 7. Then there is the "bootcamp drivers" which is found on the leopard and snow leopard dvd's, which is installed within windows. So, you can simply upgrade your vista to windows 7, or do a clean install, the choice is yours. Once windows 7 is installed, you'll need to boot up into windows and stick in a snow leopard dvd for the drivers. This will install bootcamp drivers 3.0.1, which will give you basic windows functionality. Then run apple software update in windows, which will upgrade you to bootcamp 3.1, which is more compatible with windows 7.

So in short, yes you can keep leopard, but install windows 7 and use windows 7 drivers found off the snow leopard dvd. You could even remove the existing windows partition, and start over from the bootcamp assistant within leopard if you want to change the partition size. However this will delete all your windows files.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Sorry I later read you were trying to get multitouch drivers. Well, apple never made multitouch for any version of windows.... So you won't get that by installing windows 7.

6. chundel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok sweet deal just to make it clear (as i forgot to mention before) that I want to get Windows 7 x64 which is not possible to install within the bootcamp assistance in leopard which is why I wanted to upgrade vista x64), and the features i want are (secondary click, scroll) and my keyboard (volume, brightness, EJECT lol). so I can still install Windows 7 x64 right?

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah those will work, but do you have vista installed already? There's not much point of installing vista, then upgrading to windows 7 (takes a long time). Try just choosing the vista install under bootcamp assistant under leopard, then stick in the windows 7 disc instead of vista. Or to save time, install xp, then do a clean install with windows 7 without going back into leopard.

A fair warning, a lot of people have had trouble with 64 bit drivers, especially on windows 7. I won't touch windows 7 64 bit on my macbook, although 64 bit worked fine on my old hp desktop.

8. chundel thread starter macrumors newbie

ya I have tryed to put in the windows 7 64 DVD but it hung before it could even get to "press any key", I'll Just try and do the upgrade ill be back to say what happens. and to the note I just upgraded my ram to 4GB and windows only recognizes 2.72 which is just not enough I could live with 3.22 but not 2.72, so I have to use a 64 bit OS, XP 64 was just a pain, and vista is working I'm typing this on vista, but I don't have sound and I cant right click or scroll my trackpad so thats a fail lol.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Are you using macbook by any chance? I have windows 7 32 bit installed, and it only recognizes 1.5 of my 2 gb ram. I want to install 4 gb or 6 gb of ram and the 64 bit version, but have no idea if it will have the same issues.