upgrade vs fresh install

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by vexorg, Sep 8, 2014.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2009
    I have 10.7.5 and been meaning to do the upgrade to mavericks for a while, but nervous due to it being my work machine.

Is the upgrade route safe and advisable for mavericks? I know some upgrades in the past (with mac and windows) would leave a bit of a mess behind due to slightly different structures.

I'd prefer not to have to reinstall everything again, and not sure what to expect as app store only has an "upgrade" option.

Is there any down side to doing the upgrade over a fresh install?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Cleans Installs are intended to be used a procedure to repair a vexing problem. It is not intended to be used as a routine procedure such as an OS upgrade. As an OS upgrade procedure, Clean Install is unnecessary and a gross waste of time.

Mavericks, like every version of OS X before it, works just fine after being installed as a Simple Upgrade from an older version of OS X.
  3. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2009
    A friend has a macbook that had gone from OS9 to OSX - it was an odd mix of files and folders in wrong places

I've got more memory coming, so I'll fit the memory then go for the upgrade.
  4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
    I have too recommend the clean installs they remove all the junk that builds up over time. The build up of these old files can cause all kinds of issues such as memory use increases and app crashes etc. I cannot stress enough the importance of a regular clean install.
  5. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2009
    I done the upgrade from the App Store and it seems to have worked ok.

The question I would have now is, where can I get my hands on a clean install version if I did choose to wipe it and start again? (that might happen as I've been thinking about changing to an SSD drive)
  6. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Just download Mavericks again from the App Store and don't let the installer run afterwards. You will find the installer DMG in your /Applications folder. You can use that file with DiskMakerX and a 8GB USB key to make your installer.

If you run the installer after you DL it, it deletes itself after the install is done.
  7. talmy macrumors 601

Oct 26, 2009
    You missed your best chance -- you can create a clean installer from the update app. Unfortunately, after you install the update, the update app is automatically deleted.

At this point you might as well just rely on "OS X Recovery" to do a clean install. You boot holding down ⌘R and it will allow you to install over the Internet.

If you are just going to change to a new drive, it's easiest of all to just clone your existing drive to the new drive (CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! although Disk Utility will also do this, just slower).
  8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

Mar 6, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I only do clean installs when testing an OS on a separate drive. As for my daily user, I always upgrade. I've personally never had a performance issue or glitch caused by the OSX upgrade policy. Can it happen? Sure it can, but it's rare as far as I can tell. Since you've already went the upgrade route, you'll be able to know this 1st hand.