Upgrade (which Mac OS X version for Power Mac G4)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SalokinX, May 27, 2007.

1. SalokinX macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got a Power Mac G4 with the operating system 9.2 Classic, and I was looking to upgrade. I am a new MAC user and I don't know much about theses things, so what operating system do you guys recommend me to upgrade to for my computer?

Thank You.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Press the apple in the top left then 'about this mac' (or something similar) an tell us how fast the processor is, and how much RAM you have :)

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Mac OS X Tiger. AFAIK, each OS X increment gets better/faster than the previous one.

Edit: But yeah, do what psychofreak said too. All together, Exposé, Dashboard, and Spotlight will strain your Mac if you don't have enough RAM.

4. SalokinX thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked and it says 450Mhz in two processors and Built in Memory is 1.25Gb

And is there a way I can format the pc and leave only the Mac installed?, Like when I bought it...

I just figure out the computer already have the Mac OS X 10.1.5. Do I still need to upgrade it or just leave it like this?

PS.: I still need to "format" the PC.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes. Lots of stuff won't work on a version that old, not to mention later versions are much nicer. Get 10.4.

--Eric

6. SalokinX thread starter macrumors newbie