Upgrade while still on contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Sep 10, 2015.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T that I got last Sept on 2 year contract pricing. Normally I would wait the 2 year cycle and then upgrade to the 7, skipping the S generation. Might still do that. I see that a new Plus S 64GB is $849 full price as I can't get next pricing until April 2016.

Can I sell my iPhone 6 Plus and just pay the $850 for the unlocks 6 S Plus 64?
    As long as I pay my contract pricing for the next x months or whatever, does it matter what phone is on my plan?

And can I sell my current 6 Plus to an AT&T customer (since I am guessing it cannot be unlocked until sometime next year)?

Thanks for any info.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

They don't care what phone you use, you are just obligated to stay with them until your contract ends. If you do decide to upgrade, simply pop out the sim from your 6 and put it in your 6s. AT&T may actually unlock the phone if you call enough times, I hear it happen all the time on these forums.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Thanks for the info. I figured about the sim. Couple questions.

1. If I don't get it unlocked first, can I sell it as an AT&T phone or is it still tied to my account?

2. Any idea what a mint iPhone 6 Plus 64GB White/Silver would go for?
    *Mint as in literally a week old as Apple swapped it out because my original 6 Plus was part of the defective blurry camera recall a couple weeks ago.

4. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

So i was in the same situation as you.

I upgraded to a 2 year contract at the beginning of this year to get the 6 Plus so i cant upgrade. Got on the web chat with ATT and my original plan was to pay the EFT about $250+ and just pre-order the phone on Next but according to reps even if i pay the EFT i would still need to wait out the contract period unless i cancel my service and start over. ATT gave me 6 gigs of data for the price of 3 so that wasn't happening.

I mentioned going to T-Mobile as an idea (wasn't serious) and they transferred me to retention and they offered me a free upgrade to the iPhone 6S plus with next effectively wiping out my contract (wooo) but i would need to contact them when the phone is in stock -- I declined since the phone wont be in stock for months. Keep in mind my monthly bill is higher since im on a 2 year we dont get the mobile share discount so i wanted to get on next.

Thats when I came up with the perfect plan. I ended up getting the cheapest phone they had as their free upgrade to get my line to NEXT installment (Some android phone for $75). Then when the iPhone 6S Plus comes out ill add a line to my existing plan $25 + whatever fee. It takes 30 days to pay off a next installment plan so after 30 days ill payoff the $75 phone and kill that line and have the iPhone on next for about $100 plus whatever fees which i still cheaper than the 250 eft and i get a backup phone for whatever. Plus i now get the Mobile Share Discount since im on a next plan.

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Yep, you can definitely sell it as an AT&T phone, and anyone on AT&T can activate and use it
    As for the phone price, I'm not quite sure. Try eBay and Craigslist and just browse around and see what other similar configurations are going for.