Upgrade White MB to MBP question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by finalcut, Jan 14, 2009.

1. finalcut macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,
    I'd like to upgrade my 8 months white MB to a new MBP. I found some nice price on a good local used website. Sort of small ebay. However, there is a guy listing many MB and MBP with very low price. For exemple, a MBP at 1850$ compared to 2150$ + 13.5% taxes at Apple store (Canadian money).

Does Apple sell their MB and MBP at lower price when you buy 10+ units or something? Because otherwise, I have no idea how the guy is making money out of them!

nb.: the guy is saying the MBP are new and sealed and he can even sell Applecare! eh

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. cy88 macrumors member

cy88

Generally it's not possible to get that huge of a discount (probably not even in bulk). Try to inquire the source of the laptop, and I am sure he'll tell you it's a "gift". This gift is probably from somewhere at the back of the truck ;)

You can still buy apple care because apple track all their warranty with serial. Proof of purchase is not require. The only downside is, apple has a "assumed" purchase date in their system. If your actual purchse date is after the assumed purchase date, you might lose a bit of warranty without proof of purchase to update the system.

Apple also doesn't track which machine is "stolen" or anything of that nature. Not that I do encourage buying from those sources, but I wouldn't see it as a bad idea to save hundreds of dollar! In fact, I've purchased machine with that amount of discount off craigslist before, no problem or what so ever with the machine itself and using apple care.

4. finalcut thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree it's very suspicious. But I am pretty sure the guy won't answer if I ask for the s/n hehe. But anyway, if Apple doesn't check for stolen stuff, the s/n won't do anything useful.