Upgrade Windows Mobile with a mac. How?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fatcontroller, Jan 31, 2008.

1. fatcontroller macrumors newbie

Is there any way a windows mobile 5 device can be upgraded to 6 with 10.5.x powerbook g4?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... VirtualPC 7 with Windows? But that will be brutally slow. I tried it once and it wasn't pretty, although I'm pretty sure ActiveSync will work. Not really a good solution. A major PITA for mobile devices that have to be updated via Windows like WM devices and Blackberries.... Sowwies!

3. fatcontroller thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really looking for a solution that costs less then a new handset :) Maybe I shall 'borrow' a copy from my friend the Internet and give it a whirl.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Better to borrow a Windows PC.... budget several hours to do the upgrade from a PPC Mac.

5. fatcontroller thread starter macrumors newbie

Job done, and thanks for your pointers.

Seems VPC is indeed the only option to upgrade a windows mobile device (missing sync has no support for .exe - only .cab) using a mac. The other option, actually using a windows PC or laptop is something I try to avoid.

In the end I used VPC. After an entire day upgrading XP it finally got to the USB, 'this device cannot be started' point. Switching off advanced networking features on the phone fixed this and active sync sprang in to life.

My advice - If you own a mac and want a 'smartphone' get an iPhone or wait for Android.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this is a serious problem. Before Windows Mobile, BlackBerry OS, and iPhone, it wasn't like you could frack your phone up so badly that you would need to reinstall its OS, and it wasn't like you really *needed* to upgrade ever (and if you did, people would usually do it at the store). Now you're expected to be able to upgrade your phone at home, except it only works via Windows. It's kind of shameful that none of these phones can really be upgraded over the air. Particularly that even BBs cannot, considering how many things they *can* do over the air.

And then every time you *do* upgrade, you have to deal with whether your sync software is still compatible. :rolleyes:

I think in the end, this if nothing else will finally push me over the wall to get an iPhone. Not because I necessarily think it's that much better, but honestly, at least it's fully Mac compatible.