upgrade with new HD and 4gb ram--> slow startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sanderscholtens, Jun 11, 2010.

1. sanderscholtens macrumors newbie

Hello!

Yesterday, after much debate, I've upgraded my late 09 macbook with a 7k500 500gb and 4gb (2x2) of crucial RAM. Everything went smoothly following the Ifixit guides. Used superduper to copy everything to the hd in an external enclosure, swapped them out, selected it as startup drive and GO! :)
    However, since the swap the macbook takes a lot longer to start up...From the moment I press the button it'll take quite long (10 sec) before the apple logo appears, then another 20+ sec. (with the rotating disc on screen) before everything is ready to go at the desktop.
    My girlfriend has got an macbook (identical to how mine was before) and it boots much quicker! Any advice at where to look to get everything going at blistering speeds again ;)?

Cheers!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Repair permissions and verify the disk with Disk Utility. Also, reselect it as your boot drive from Sys Prefs -> Startup disk

3. sanderscholtens thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've done the last option you mention. Not the first two yet, I'll try those tonight!
    Any other thoughts??

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Select it again as boot volume, just in case (it takes like 2mins to do). I know it sounds weird but sometimes it fixes it, even though you have already selected it before. If those doesn't help, I would try a complete reinstall of OS X, just move your files to your old HD and do a clean install