Upgrade Workaround?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stick159, Jun 7, 2010.

1. stick159 macrumors member

I am currently own a blackberry and want to upgrade to iPhone 4 but my upgrade date is not until August 28. I know they said they were moving up the upgrade dates by 6 months but on engadget they have a news release from AT&T which states only current iPhone customers will have their upgrade date moved up 6 months.

So can I just put my sim in my friends iPhone, call AT&T and add a data package, and then they will move up my upgrade date? At this point my account would list me as a current iPhone user with an upgrade date in August. I can't seem to find anything wrong with this plan but was curious what others thought about it. I also called AT&T to verify that my upgrade date would not be moving up and they said no I could not upgrade until August. Thanks.

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It worked before.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

I am interested to know if this works as well.

My sister's non-iPhone line is due for an upgrade November. She bought an iPhone March/April 2009 but did not like it so sold it off. She now wants an iPhone 4 and would prefer not to wait since her phone is dying. If the OP's suggestion doesn't work, what's my luck of calling in and asking for the upgrade to be moved up? I understand that AT&T reps can't change iPhone upgrade dates but for other phones they can, so I'm hoping it works.

4. vega07 macrumors 65816

can you link us to threads that discussed this working?

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I'm pretty sure you've missed the boat. The upgrade dates seem to have already been moved up.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

No, i'm not going back 2 years to find some old threads. You're more than welcome to though.

7. stick159 thread starter macrumors member

I now know without a doubt that AT&T will not be moving up the upgrade date on non-iPhone customers. I emailed AT&T about it and this is the response they gave me...

"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding you are eligible to upgrade 8/23/2010 and want to upgrade to the iPhone 4, you would like you upgrade dates moved up. My name is Phylicia Thompson, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

We are unable to move the upgrade eligibility unless you currently have an iPhone. The policy is as followed: If you are eligible to upgrade within 2010 and you currently have an iPhone you are able to upgrade when the device is launched. We are unable to make any other exceptions."

I do like the part at the end where if you are eligible to upgrade in 2010 and have an iPhone then you will be able to upgrade. That last sentence makes it sound like she was telling me to do what I proposed in my original post :) Maybe not, but I will try it anyways when it gets closer to June 15 and make a post here detailing how it went. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I say it's worth a try. I did something similar to get the 3G. I think this is what Revelation is referring to.