Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
If I had a mac pro right now I don't think I'd need to upgrade right now since it's plenty powerful. Hopefully within 4-5 years the current mac pros will be as easy to upgrade as the g4 power macs are.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
As a fellow poster said when asked about the need of an octo-core Pro: "What do you need it for? Planetary simulation?".

The Mac Pro is stupifyingly powerful, and upgrading it hardwarewise won't hardly be noticeable until the software follows with it.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
There are situations for which the 8 cores would have tangible benefits. 3D rendering - particularly if GI or raytracing is involved. Ditto complex video compositing. Be honest - you wouldn't say no if you were offered one :)

Doug

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
It's a shame that while you can put in four more cores, a bucketload of RAM, piles of harddrives...your OS X options for graphics cards are slightly limited.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
As a fellow poster said when asked about the need of an octo-core Pro: "What do you need it for? Planetary simulation?".

The Mac Pro is stupifyingly powerful, and upgrading it hardwarewise won't hardly be noticeable until the software follows with it.

VMWare Fusion(or Parallels) would eat up those cores and RAM easily.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
VMWare Fusion(or Parallels) would eat up those cores and RAM easily.

Yup!

I upgraded to 8-cores 6 months after I got the machine back when the Intel Mac Pros were first released. What a very nice difference it made for what I do!

Of course i run planetary simulations in my sleep... Muahahahaaaa... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.