Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I know most people reformat their machines with new OS updates, but how many of you are planning just to do an upgrade? Cause I am, just seeing how many of you are going to do the same.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
When I purchase Tiger I had planned on doing the upgrade. I really don't want to reinstall everything.

shortyman

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2005
Somerset, UK
I think I will just do an upgrade - although as I am a new switcher there is not exactly much clutter on my machine etc. I dont think it is really worthwhile me doing a complete reinstall.

:)

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
7on said:
I know most people reformat their machines with new OS updates, but how many of you are planning just to do an upgrade? Cause I am, just seeing how many of you are going to do the same.

If Tiger is anything like Panther and Jaguar, a reformat won't be necessary:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Is usually all you have to do.

Mind you I strongly recommend also taking these precautions:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

I only reformat if I want to make sure I don't have some hidden software issue after an update that isn't related to the directory or something else and that I definitely have a hardware issue.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nah, I'm with the reformatting school of thought. There's just something so refreshing about it. :) Almost like there's a guarantee that there won't be any problems. I stress the 'almost' part though! ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I'll do what I did with Panther, see how other people do and upgrade one of my machines and see how that goes.

With Panther, there was a few issues that cropped up from the upgrade (no matter how clean your Jaguar installation was) that caused me to do a clean install on all my machines.

Tiger may just be an upgrade for me or it could be a clean install. I won't know until sometime after I do the first machine.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Bear said:
I'll do what I did with Panther, see how other people do and upgrade one of my machines and see how that goes.

With Panther, there was a few issues that cropped up from the upgrade (no matter how clean your Jaguar installation was) that caused me to do a clean install on all my machines.

Tiger may just be an upgrade for me or it could be a clean install. I won't know until sometime after I do the first machine.

There is no such thing as a Mac OS X clean install. Please see this FAQ:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@72.ztdsasNlTy2.267783@.599b7ba4 explains why. Calling it a clean install could confuse some people to want to Archive and Install vs. Erase and Install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.