Upgrade ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fthree, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Last year I asked about going from a 13 to a 15(fully loaded) macbook pro retina. Of course after getting the Iphone 6 plus I have no need for my Ipad and love the idea of having a bigger screen on my laptop. I have looked over the reviews and everything macbook related and im thinking about going with the 15 that was just put out in July. I want a computer that will keep me for the next few years and that can handle the amount of things i have going on while on the comp (Videos, 2/3 different desktops going at once etc) I would also like to get into photo editing. I do like my 13 but am noticing things that are wanting me to get the 15. Ill may try and get a good trade on my 13 also.

One question I do have however is that i have my harddrive saved on a Gdrive External. If I do purchase a 15 today can i just load all the GBs of info i have on the Gdrive onto the new 15? Thanks hope this isnt too choppy.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, but how you do that will depend on how you got the data onto the external drive to begin with. Is this a Time Machine backup or what?

3. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a time machine back up. I can attach it and do it again just to make sure before I actually go through with it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That makes it easy. When you first turn on the new MacBook and go through the setup it will ask if you want to import your data. Say yes and go through the prompts and tell it you want to import from a TM backup, then point it to the TM external you have. It will import your account and apps and all your data into the new machine.

5. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet thanks!!! I was reading about people waiting for next years model. Any specific reason why that would be beneficial?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What everybody is waiting on is Macs that have the new Intel Broadwell processors. Just like every year, the ywill likely get a little better battery life and be a little faster. You are not likely to see those in a new Retina until April-ish though.

If you need a new Mac now, I would just go ahead and get it.

7. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do not necessarily "need" it as I view it as something that would be better for multitasking videos photos etc. I do however want to make sure that the computer info purchase has as long of a life as possible. That's why I wanted the 15 with the graphics card etc.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I hear you, and if the new one was coming in a month, I would wait too. But we are at least a few months out and it will very likely be an incremental upgrade. I don't think if you bought one now you would be kicking yourself over anything the new model has.

9. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, what is the average life on a computer with the top end specs that the 2499 15 has?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say what average is. I mean lots of people still using 2006-2007 MacBooks around here. But I think it is reasonable to expect the get four or five good years myself.

11. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I'm planning on taking my 13 inch retina and trading it in for store credit towards the 15. I am concerned with deleting my information that is currently on it. Any suggestions on how to make sure all my info that is on it currently gets deleted permanently

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5189

Just follow the steps here and you will be good to go. Make sure when you get to step five you erase the drive from recovery and then reinstall and all your data will be erased.

13. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!!! I've got a time capsule back up saved on a G drive I just backed it up today. How confident can I be that it'll put all things on my new Mac when I plug it in

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Everything should be there. You can open the time machine backup in finder and poke around a bit to make sure it looks like everything is there. Normally it does the trick though.

15. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Picked up my 15 today. I've never seen anything more beautiful in my life. Now the hard part, I worked it out so that I could take my 13 inch up there later after making sure that all the data gets on my new one. Here's my problem they said they would give me 497$ for the 13 late 2013 retina/8g rm/256g. I got the student discount on the 15 so it was 2299 plus tax. Traded in a mini iPad retina (I don't use anymore because the iPhone 6 plus is a beast!) I got 190$ for it and applied it to the new 15. Hard to part with my 13 for only 497 with as much as I love the damn thing. Not a big money man but COULD if I had to eat 500 to keep the 13. And I almost got $400 off the 15 anyway. What to do?