Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I am thinking about upgrading to the ip6 the 6+ is a little too big, I currently have the 5s however I believe the processor in the 6 is only 100MHz faster than my 5s not sure about the coprocessor along with no difference in RAM.

The bigger screen doesn't really interest me... However more battery life would be a huge interest, is there anyone that's gone from a 5s to a 6? How is the difference in battery life? I doubt it would be that much due to the bigger screen.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I am thinking about upgrading to the ip6 the 6+ is a little too big, I currently have the 5s however I believe the processor in the 6 is only 100MHz faster than my 5s not sure about the coprocessor along with no difference in RAM.

The bigger screen doesn't really interest me... However more battery life would be a huge interest, is there anyone that's gone from a 5s to a 6? How is the difference in battery life? I doubt it would be that much due to the bigger screen.

Nope, the difference in battery life on the 6 compared to a 5s is a huge difference for me. I can make it a day and a half without charging on heavy use.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is there any real speed difference?

I feel like my 6+ is faster than my 5s was. Try one for yourself and see. Also, keep in mind that comparing clock speeds is never a good indicator of relative speeds unless the two chips are from the same family(the A7 and A8 have quite a few differences internally).

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
The battery life has been the same for me between the 5S and the 6. It's rathter disappointing. I was hoping to keep the 6 for two years but the weak battery has me thinking of upgrading to the 6S later this year if there's a big improvement in the battery.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

The battery life has been the same for me between the 5S and the 6. It's rathter disappointing. I was hoping to keep the 6 for two years but the weak battery has me thinking of upgrading to the 6S later this year if there's a big improvement in the battery.

My wife's 6 won't last the day. I doubt if it was any better than the 5S that she borrowed from me. I also used that same 6 for a few weeks and I can't say it was much better than the year old battery in my 5S.

What apps you use will be critical. When people post how "great" their usage is, I hardly ever see Safari at the top of the list. For me, Safari has always been the #1 battery drainer.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
I use Safari and Facebook a lot, those are the 2 top battery drainers on my 5s, currently I get from 5-6 hours usage.

shorestyle

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
got the wife a 64gb i6 and her's lasts 2 days on a single charge with moderate to light use. (facebook, texts, taking pictures with the kids, some instagram browsing)

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I first upgraded to the 6 and found that the battery life was the same as my 5S. Basically, I got a full day as long as I wasn't heavily using the GPS. Then I upgraded to the 6+ and saw a huge difference. Before (with the 6/5S) I would end the day with around 10% battery. Now, I'm finishing the day with 40%+. My day hasn't really changed - I'm still doing the same work in the same way as before.

iPhone 6 has around an 1800 mAH battery and the 6+ has one that's almost 3000 mAH, so it makes sense.

Last edited:

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Y'all are making the 6P look great, downside its too darn big :( I guess now I gotta factor in the 6P (may need to pay even more) for a higher data plan :(

shorestyle

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Y'all are making the 6P look great, downside its too darn big :( I guess now I gotta factor in the 6P (may need to pay even more) for a higher data plan :(

Also gotta remember the 6+ is pushing a 1080p with the same cpu/gpu as the 6 so performance might seem a tad sluggish.

JAG21979

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2015
Central Florida
IP6 Battery Life

The IP5s battery life was horrible, and the IP6 isn't much better. I bought an Anker 3200 mAh external batter charger to help with those times when I need a quick charge. Overall, I'm not happy that a larger battery wasn't used in the IP6, but that's the price we pay to have such a nice feeling slim device. I think for the size of the 1810 mAh juicer for the IP6, the battery life is pretty good. The closest Android phone to the the IP6 is the HTC One M8, which has a sealed 2600 mAh battery. The M8 is optimized similar to Apple in terms of their software, and the battery in that phone would get me through the day. If Apple could slighly increase the size of the phone, and squeeze in a 2400 or 2600 mAh battery, the IP6 would be hands down the best, even more so than it already is...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This is really a decision that you have to make yourself. I LOVE the form factor of the iPhone 6/6+. I originally went from Android to the 4s but wasn't a huge fan of the block form factor. I left my iPhone 5 to a Note 3. When I saw the 6+ I fell in love right away. After 2+ weeks of usage, this is the best phone I've ever used. Battery life is insane - better standby than my Note 3. I can easily get 2+ days of heavy usage (for me) without trying.

My wife also got a 6+ from her 5s. She's got tiny tiny hands (she's 5'1) and she's absolutely in love with the 6+. I thought she'd hate it but she can't put it down.

My wife and I play Ingress (starting this year) - we bought an Anker 13,000 and 16,000 brick --- helps a lot when you're walking around for hours with the screen on and GPS blaring. You can get smaller bricks - lipstick chargers, etc...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I went from a 5s to 6 because I was able to use a family member's end of contract upgrade (with their consent, of course) to do so at a low cost.

And while I love my 6, and would never want to go back to my 5s, the only reason to upgrade is if you really want a larger display. I don't think that the average person will notice any real performance difference between the two. The camera on the 6 is perhaps slightly better, and I really haven't noticed a substantial difference in battery life. The larger display is really the only significant improvement, and it is indeed significant. But my 5s never felt too small until I got the 6, so if I had never upgraded I'm quite sure I would still be happy with the 5s. My 6 doesn't really do anything more or better than my 5s did except provide more screen space.

*Edit to add*

Oh, another reason why I upgraded is because I was brushing up against the storage limits of my 16GB 5s, but obviously if you don't have that issue that's one less reason to bother.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Just went out and got the 6, feels nice in the hand (I have big hands) the 6plus was wayyy to big... Thanks for all the input

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just went out and got the 6, feels nice in the hand (I have big hands) the 6plus was wayyy to big... Thanks for all the input

I did the same and started with the 6 but had to add the 6+. In the ned the 6+ won but it is personal preference and it took me three times of going back and forth before I retired my 6 for the 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.