Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rambosou, May 1, 2007.

1. rambosou macrumors newbie

So, I'm deciding to switch to Mac for my computing needs. Leopard is coming out later than expected but rumor has it that the new hardware updates will be out soon. With Windows there is always a slight decrease in performance if you upgrade to a new operating system. (I.E. win xp to vista). Most people don't notice it but, one as myself, can notice it.

My question is... if i buy a MacBook Pro after they update the hardware, but still having 10.4 installed, would there be a decrease in preformance when I get leopard when it comes out? I was thinking maybe it would be better to wait until Mac OS 10.5 is running natively on the new MacBook Pros rather than upgrading 10.4 later on.

Does anybody have any incite into this?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

no. i bought a Mac mini that came with Panther (10.3) and noticed no decrease in performance when i upgraded to Tiger (10.4). similarly, i know people who have had their computers since 10.0 or 10.1 and are now using 10.3 or 10.4 without any decreases in performance.

if anything, i would say Apple's software updates increase the performance of the hardware (to an extent, of course).