Upgrade!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadowschild, Aug 8, 2008.

1. shadowschild macrumors member

Ok so ive been doing alot of work on my macbook pro. I installed a 500gig hard drive and 4 gigs of ram. Now can I upgrade my intel chip? I preferably would want to upgrade it to a quad core, if i do that, do i need a new logic board? And if so what one? If not that I would want to give it a faster core 2 duo, is any of this possible,a and if so, how? PM with answer or reply here, thanks!!:cool:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

No its impossible. The CPU (and GPU) are both soldered to the LB.

3. shadowschild thread starter macrumors member

so i cant do that even if i buy a new logic board?

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Thats a no go area. If you did those hard drive and RAM updates, how do you not know that the CPU cannot be changed?

Seems a little funny to me :cool:

My advice, dont do anymore messing to your MBP.

5. vm7118 macrumors regular

seeing as how the cpu, northbridge, and gpu are all on the bottom of the logic board, he wouldn't have seen them (and seen how they are attached) without removing the logic board itself.

which you don't have to do when changing the RAM or HDD.

but no, there isn't really any way to upgrade the CPU or GPU or motherboard, for that matter. that's why a lot of us are freaking out hearing about all these nvidia gpu's failing... the only thing we can do is let it fail (just happened to me for the first time), and get it replaced under warranty if we have it (again, just did it for the first time).

i'm hoping it happens 2 or more times in the next year, so i can get a new laptop. this damn nvidia thing is pissing me off.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can use hot air to solder it, but somehow you will have to find a motherboard with no CPU on it and a BGA CPU of your choice.