Upgradeability of New Macbook Pro 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meister, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

With new macbook pro coming out soon (22.10.) I am wondering if anybody knows if they will keep around a model that is modifyable like the current non-retina.
    I almost feel tempted to buy the mbp (2012) now and pimp it out with 16gb ram and two ssds. The performance still beats the mba and is even cheaper! I also like the ethernet and usbs on the good ol mbp. I am really feeling itchy about buying one while its still around. Anybody know what will come pn 22.10. ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no guarantee we'll see MBPs on the 22nd. So far it appears to be an iPad centric media event. Anyways I rMBPs are not upgradeable, the ram is soldered onto the logic board and the storage is expensive to upgrade third party. If you want an ethernet port (and avoid the dongle) then the cMBP is your choice. Rumors continue to swirl that the classic MBP may not see an update to Haswell.

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I was thinking bout the rmbp. But the basic 13" model isnt even available with 16gb ram. Wtf? And 128ssd not really upgradable atm. Only one slot for a hardrive (makes sense for space reasons i admit).
    I need large storage and i refuse to use an external ssd. Defeats the purpose of a notebook.
    Why is apple doing this? And y solder ram?

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Because they can get customers to pay big $$$ at insane markups to future proof their machines. And if they don't future proof their machines, then apple gets to sell them a new machine that much sooner.

It's also their quest to make everything as thin as humanly possible. It doesn't matter than a significant % of their customers would gladly give up 15 mm in order to upgrade their own RAM/SSD. They want the macs to be ridiculously thin, no matter how it negatively impacts the customer - look at the iMacs - specifically the non-27" ones. Customers are locked in, in a desktop?!?!? WTH!!!

5. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Locking up the mac pro, so u can only extend it externaly via thunderbolt isnt that bad, cuz its stationary, ipad and macbook air is somewhat tolerable cuz upgrading tablets isnt really on. But soldering ram into the mbp is just offensive!
    So does it stay like atm or will apple plan to make at least the non-rmbp upgradeable? Can anyone in the know give a hint?

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Anyone in the know ain't say squat, for fear of losing their job.

We'll just have to wait and see, and hope that Apple isn't silly enough to force people to spend $2700+ to get more than 512Gigs of storage IN their laptops.