• MBP + egpu! time to get rid of the old tech

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

patber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Hi,

Hi have an upgraded 5.1 (4.1) with dual 3.46GHz XEON processor and 64GB of RAM and an GTX1080 for work and gaming (I'm a data scientist), I also have a MBP 13" Touch Bar 2,3GHz i5 with 16GB of RAM, now with all the NVIDIA driver issues I was wondering of I should get rid of the Mac Pro and buy a egpu with vega 64.

Since I can't make up my mind I'm asking you guys, what do you guys think, what will the performance be like for the MBP + egpu vs mac pro, in gaming and other scenarios as well.

Cheers!

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I mean if you want a vega 64 why not just put one in the mac pro? It's a 5,1; itll work.

I have a 3,1 8 core which is obviously way lesser than your 12 core 5,1. In it I have installed 20GB of ram, an SSD for the boot drive, and a Geforce GTX 1060. It handles everything I have thrown at it without really breaking a sweat. I'm not a hard core gamer, but I do occasionally. I played through all of the 3 tomb raider reboot games, shadow being the highest graphics. I have just about every setting to the highest and it looks perfect. This is on Window 10. Under Mac OS X - 10.13.6 games look equally as good when they are ported well (shadow is still windows only anyways). The only issue I've had with nvidia is the lack of a Mojave driver which is why I'm still on HS on this thing.

I'll always take a badass desktop machine like a cMP over a laptop for that stuff any day. Even if apple tells me it's "too old". Tell that to my 10 year old machine I just talked about...

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Yeah of course, but just thought if it was time to change the complete setup at the same time
I'm planning on replacing my 3,1 with a 5,1 when I can find a decently priced one. That's my upgrade path lol. I wouldn't even dream of replacing a 5,1 with anything if I had one.

Valerio Fioretti

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Hi. What's actually a good upgrade for replacing a GTX 970?
I'd like to stay under $600... however there's Black Friday coming up...
I have a 2 x 3,46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon but need more GPU power for DaVinci and Premiere...
Any advice?