There was an upgrade to the DataCase app, so I downloaded it to my computer. Then I attached my iPhone and did the usual sync and update process. When it was done (after the iPhone disappeared and reappeared a few times from iTunes, and reset a couple of time) I had the new version of DataCase -- but all the files I had on the iPhone for use with DataCase were gone! This is the first time this happened with DataCase, but certainly not the first time it has happened to me with the iPhone. Apple needs to re-think their application upgrade process. This never happens on my Blackberry or on the Windows Mobile device (or Palm) that I used to use. With other devices, the data was always intact after an app update -- even if the update went bad. I wish there were a way to "lock" the directories on the iPhone where data is kept, and prevent the upgrade process from touching those directories. The upgrade process is just too "iffy" to risk something wiping out my data. One thing I've noticed is that it is just data associated with thrid party apps that gets messed with during an update. Apple seems to do a good job of protecting data associated with their own applications. That's not a good business model. Anyway, now I'll have to round up all the files I had copied to the iPhone for use with DataCase. I'm glad I discovered they were gone before I needed something in a meeting. I wish we could combine Apple's great user interface with Blackberry's reliable data integrity.