Upgraded from 2008 to 2011 - Still SLOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3587, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So, I have a 2008 MacBook Pro loaded with Parallels 5 and Windows 7. The computer has recently seen an extreme slow down, probably because I have reached its limits. Now I just purchased a 2011 MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 15" with the 750GB HD. I used Migration Assistant to transfer all my files over... Opening and closing windows has not improved. Loading iPhoto has not improved. Nothing seems to be running any faster on the new computer. Why? I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 and iLife '11.

2. simsaladimbamba

Opening applications is dependent on the speed of the HDD, the CPU has hardly anything to do with that.
    If you really want to improve your Mac, upgrade your RAM to 8GB (less than 100 €) and maybe even an SSD (applications will open much faster), but SSDs are small and expensive. You could also look into the Optibay.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

They probably both have 5400 RPM hard drives.

You should have just upgraded the hard drive or switched to a solid state drive in your 2008 MacBook Pro or chose the 500 GB 7200 RPM stock in the 15'' if you were looking for a new computer anyway. I doubt your 2008 model has "reached its limits," it easily could have another year or two of life in it, it just needs a little pick-me-up.

4. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Have you considered that your problem is due to software and not hardware. If you used migration assistant, literally every little thing was transferred over, including possibly corrupt files and preferences as well as permissions files. My recommendation would be to check your permissions first and if that doesn't help, possibly start resetting the PRAM or NVRAM. Ultimately, if you could do a fresh install and transfer things manually instead of using migration assistant it may help.

5. s2ksleepy macrumors newbie

install an ssd and your problems will go away.

6. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am leaning towards it being a software issue, yes... I am going to try and load a fresh OS and bring some things over manually... If there is no improvement, maybe I'll try the 8GB RAM... I need the 750GB HD, that is why I got it... Maybe a 7200 would've shown some difference... Any other ideas?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your 2008 machine shouldn't be slow by any means, sounds like a software problem to me.

And running a virtual machine requires RAM, and the more of it, the better.

8. negativzero macrumors 6502

Main thing thats still slowing you down is the HD. Upgrade it to a 7200RPM or a SSD and you'll see a world of difference when using the MBP.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

First step in debugging for you would be to do a fresh install
    -> if that doesn't work then increase RAM
    -> if that doesn't work then upgrade HDD
    -> if that doesn't work something is wrong with the new computer and take it in.

You probably won't have to do more than a fresh install though.

10. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will do a FRESH install of Lion and then manually bring stuff over... I need the HD space, so SSD is NOT an option... RAM is a cheap enough upgrade, but you would think that 4GB would be enough?

But after doing a fresh install, won't the corrupt files just come over as well if I manually bring stuff over?

Need to transfer over:
    iChat
    Mail
    Address Book
    iCal
    Safari
    iPhoto-50K+ photos
    Parallels 5 w/Windows 7
    Of course Documents folder, etc.

How easy/difficult is it to manual bring this stuff over while keeping the "possibly" corrupt files on the old Mac? Just don't copy over anything from the Library's?

Thanks!

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Storage shouldn't really make you rule out a SSD. You could always just use a small SSD and look into alternate storage routes such as optibay or external hard drives. The speed increase would be worth it if these alternatives are something that you wouldn't mind doing.

However, if you prefer to have everything on one internal drive, then look into a 750 GB 7200 RPM drive, or the Momentus XT if you can deal with 500 GB.

12. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

+1 - I promise your CPU is not being taxed opening windows. It simply can't retrieve what it's supposed to do any faster. You could put your hard disk in a Mac Pro and the Mac Pro would probably feel just as slow.

You can install your hdd in the optical bay and then install an SSD in the main disk bay.

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Just use an optibay and run the OS and applications off the ssd and store your media files on the hdd that's what I do since I need a lot of space for video files. If you bought a 2011 MBP it should already have 4GB of RAM. An upgrade to 8GB shouldn't cost more than $60. You can get it cheaper if you find a deal that is going on.

14. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

Stop leaning. The problem is software related. time to start over.

15. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

You are leaning towards it?

Dude, how does a 2008 mac work fine for you when nothing inside it has changed then suddenly "reach its limits"?

I guarantee this is software related. Ignore those people who are throwing SSD's, 7200RPM drives and OptiBays at your problem. :)

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

One of the most sane posts in this thread. I second it, a fresh installation will likely fix it.

17. cibby macrumors member

I'm in a similar boat but with a new Mini to which I migrated my SL account. This account has been with me for many OS upgrades and machines. My preference would be to avoid as much re-installing of stuff as possible.

Is there any 3rd party software to help clean things up?

Can I migrate some things but avoid others?

18. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I switched to a 7200rpm hard drive and haven't experienced any noticeable difference. Try a fresh install first.

If that doesn't help, I think the only way you are going to have a big speed bump is installing more RAM and/or an SSD.

19. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

OK, although a fresh install is scary the first time, just make sure to do it in a methodical manner. There are multiple guides for how to properly do this so please google it if you plan on doing so but it is actually quite simple.

1. BACK UP EVERYTHING - use both time machine and superduper
    2. Make a MANUAL backup on an external HDD of your really important things - Photos, Emails, Music, Contacts, Calendar, Documents, Downloads, Other Media, Bookmarks, etc - there are TONS of guides for how to do this
    3. Make a list of all programs you install and make sure you have the files or discs to re-install them, if not get them now and back them up
    4. After you are pretty sure you have at least 2 backups of everything that you KNOW HOW TO ACCESS, then start the process of reinstalling lion with a clean install.
    5. Now, this is the toughie, and depending on your computer expertise you can always go to an apple store to help you with this one: Re-import all your data (emails, photos, contacts, calendars, documents, downloads, bookmarks, etc). Remember, each of the things has a different process to do it (ie itunes, mail, iphoto all have different ways to re-import the data which you can google) However, DO NOT USE THE MIGRATION WIZARD AS THIS IS PROBABLY CAUSING THE PROBLEM. When you use the migration wizard it will copy everything bit for broken bit, you need to avoid this to correctly install these files.
    6. Once completed, you will need to manually install all non-mac app store programs (you can either use the discs that you have or re-download them if you bought them off the web, or re-install them from the downloads folder that you saved.
    7. Redo all configurations for your apps (most painful part of process)
    8. Hopefully it all went well and you have a brand spanking new machine free of digital rot.

20. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Thank you for the details!

21. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, why would my 2011 MacBook Air 13" feel faster than my 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz? Just because of the SSD? But aren't the benchmarks showing the Pro being faster than the Air? Or do you think it is still a software issue?

I know I've had this MBP Migrated over from many Macs ago, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of reloading everything! Nightmare!

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you need the storage space, and are willing to go without an optical drive, you can get an optibay. It essentially takes your optical drive out (and puts it in a nice external case, so you can still use it when needed), and replaces it with an SSD. That way, you can boot from and keep all your apps on the SSD, and store your files on the HD.

As far as transfer over, most of those things on your list are already on the mac with a fresh install. Do you mean you need the apps set up for you to use, or do you mean you need saved data from within them? For example, do you have locally stored emails or iChat chats (can you even do that?) that need to be kept, or do you just need mail and iChat set up? If so, do them manually

obviously, you need your personal data for iCal, photos, address book, etc, but I doubt any of those files being corrupt would slow down the entire computer. And for the windows install, do you just need it for 1 or 2 programs? I mean to say, can you do a fresh install of windows as well and start over (perhaps just with the files you need from the windows apps you use)? If so, that would also be something to do

the pro is faster than the air in terms of CPU power/speed and graphics power/speed. However, the air will start up faster and load apps faster, because of the SSD.

23. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Regarding Parallels, you absolutely must max out your RAM. You can find an 8GB upgrade set for $50. I did this last week and I can now run an instance of Windows 7 and Windows XP with both using 1GB of RAM and everything is snappy. Also, you should probably upgrade to Parallels 6 as Parallels 5 is no longer supported on Lion.

24. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Where are you guys getting some of your information?

* The OP is not on Lion. He's on SL 10.6.8

* His 2008 macbook worked fine. Then it didn't. He doesn't need RAM, or faster drives. Again, it all worked fine at one time.

Stop telling him to throw money at it. :)