Upgraded from 2013 MBP to 2016 MBP w/ Touchbar

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nbd1790, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Nbd1790 macrumors member

Just wanted to put my two cents in from a recent purchase I made (and hopefully help out some people with their own decisions)

First off, I rely on my laptop quite a bit. I use my laptop throughout the day and night on a regular basis. During the day, I use it for my Graphic Design business and use Photoshop and Illustrator (in addition to the casual web browsing / emails etc) - I also use it for audio sessions (Ableton Logic and Pro Tools) and finally at night, I DJ at some night clubs / lounges three nights a week here in NYC.

The 2013 has an i7 / 16gb Ram / 768gb SSD
    The 2016 has an i7 / 16gb Ram / 2tb SSD

I made the upgrade because I figured it would only be a matter of time before this started to give out (given the amount it's used) and also because B&H has this configuration in the 2016 model for $3399 (about $1000 off the original MSRP) My 2013 was always well cared for and still is. Hardly a scratch on it and always reliable. I was under the impression that aside from the changes in design, this new machine would theoretically outperform my older machine noticeably in the tasks I give it on a daily basis.

To my surprise, I can hardly notice a difference between the 2013 and 2016. I don't edit video frequently (so I can't speak on that specifically) but all of my regular tasks seem exactly the same. In addition, my older Mac NEVER EVER froze entirely to the point where I had to hold the power button to force restart. The 2016 has done it several times and has yet to even leave the house.

Currently, I'm still using the 2013 for ALL of my everyday tasks. I also had a chance to play around with a friend of mines 2017 MBP and it seems to function the same as mine. Point being, if you are running a fully loaded MBP w/ retina display from 2012-2015 and are considering updating to the newer model, I would highly recommend holding off a few years if possible at all. Also keep in mind, when purchasing from B&H, once the laptop is opened they won't accept a return (or exchange for that matter) unless the unit itself is diagnosed as faulty from Apple themselves.

The smaller form factor, enhanced screen and larger SSD on the newer Macbook are all great. The keyboard is a big issue for some people, but you get used to it after a few days and adapt to it. If I could, I would return the 2016 and hold out for a major change in the 2018 (possibly even 2019) model processor or ram option.

Ultimately, if you're using a Retina Macbook Pro and it's still going - hold out for a bigger change than the 2016/2017 have to offer. Secondly, if you're purchasing from B&H make sure it is the EXACT model that you want (system specs, screen size etc) because they won't accept a return purely based on buyers remorse.

All of this may have been talked about in the forums, but I was unable to get something along these lines when I was considering my purchase. Hope this helps someone out there with their own decisions.

2. bent00, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

bent00 macrumors newbie

A cautionary tale for those that read this thread & are thinking about upgrading. The first half of your reason for purchasing a new MacBook "...figured it would only be a matter of time before this started to give out" is a pretty poor one if you're doing regular backups & the performance is ok for your uses. You must have had 3 grand burning a hole in your pocket.

I do regular backups and use my Macs until they either 1) die or 2) no longer are able to perform the tasks I need with the performance I need. Reading Barefeats or Geekbench scores may make you want to upgrade your machine, but often it's a small improvement, and sometimes not even discernible in your work, just as you experienced.

BTW an apple refurbished i7/16GB/2TB MacBook Pro 15" is selling for $3379 with apple's warranty & return policy.

Live & learn.