Upgraded from 4.1 to 4.3.1, battery life unbearable!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Apr 13, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I held off on upgrading my iPhone 4 firmware until the 4.3.1 release. Ever since upgrading, my battery drains so much faster than it ever used to, it's horrible. Anyone else noticed this? Just a few minutes after taking my phone off the charger the battery was already at 99% and i didn't even do anything. Now i'm on hold with the dmv and my battery drained 5% in 7 minutes. I'm afraid my battery won't make it through the day, what a nuisance!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have your blobs, you can downgrade to 4.2.1.

3. seraphkz macrumors newbie

Same problem. Check your usage in Settings --> general, see if it's reporting usage that you never used.

I had my phone charged to 100% before I went to sleep. After I woke up, my batter was at 69%, and the usage was showing an hour and 30 minutes, but I never used my phone while I was sleeping!

4. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Try this and see if it helps -

Go into settings>store, tap your email and sign out
    Open up the phone app, click home button, then kill the phone app in multi-task tray

See if that helps, works for me, have been diagnosing this issue since 4.3 ever came out and it fixes it for me

5. ..-. macrumors newbie

I'll have to give that a try. I have really noticeable battery drain with 4.3.1. Don't know if it's as bad as 4.3 but definitely different than before. Same with my iPhone and iPad2.

:confused:
    Frank

6. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Let me know if it works.

Works for me every time, thankfully, the battery issues were driving me insane

7. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

I believe that is the same battery life that Verizon iPhones have been seeing since day one. The battery life on my Verizon iPhone in comparison to my At&t iPhone is night and day.

Verizon iPhone Battery life = Horrible
    At&t iPhone Battery life = Great

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I do not understand as 4.3.1 did not change my battery life greatly from the previous OS. Slightly but maybe by 5% for the whole average day.

9. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys, will try when I get home, I should also mention that I have not yet tried to calibrate the battery since the update, don't know if it will help.

10. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

ok, just gave this stuff a try and going to sleep now. we shall see tomorrow if it's improved. Also another thing, it won't charge to a full 100% keeps stopping at 99.

11. seraphkz macrumors newbie

12. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Try disabling ping under restrictions as described in this article.

I have read that this has helped many users with poor battery life since the update.

13. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

If it stops charging at 99% that sounds like the battery needs to be recalibrated.

14. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

To be honest, I think a lot of us are pushing a lot of notifications now, and there's no way to avoid a detrimental effect on battery life.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So far I've not needed to enable notifications, and while I cannot conclusively state that is the reason. My battery life doesn't suck

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Another thread?

You do realize there are countless useless threads like this one right?

I don't understand you people, everytime Apple releases a new software update, somebody always has to complain about battery life and how much worse it is...

Why?

17. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Err people complain as it is bad because of the battery drain.Not had any problems with any of the previous IOS's except for 4.3.1!

Luckily for me i could downgrade and now i'm not losing several % every 5 minutes,neither is it getting hot when using 2 apps or is it locking up!

18. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Ping isn't for push notifications, its the new music sharing service thats part of itunes. Personally I dont use it and have it disabled.

According to some reports its running constantly in the background. Disabling it under restrictions kills this feature.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know its crazy a forum where people create threads. The mods better a put a stop to this or a discussion could break out:eek:

20. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I've suffered battery drain as has my wife, her iPhone even more so. Just installed today's update though. We'll see if that helps at all. Fingers crossed.