Upgraded from 5 to 6, absolutely loving Touch ID!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brig2221, Sep 22, 2014.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I know Touch ID is an old feature coming out with the 5S, but being an iPhone 5 owner, I never got to use it. As such, I'm having my first experience with it on my newly received iPhone 6.

I gotta tell you, I LOVE it! I've had a passcode lock on all my previous iPhones, and I hate it, a necessary evil. I was constantly unlocking the phone and putting in the code. For someone like me, Touch ID is a godsend and a really neat feature. I see that it has already been implemented into the Amazon App for purchase confirmation, which is awesome.

Of all the new goodies to enjoy on the iPhone 6, I'm enjoying the Touch ID feature the most. Well, that's not entirely correct. I'm loving the larger screen the most, but a close second is the Touch ID.

What do all the iPhone 5 upgraders think of Touch ID?

2. nathdogg macrumors regular

I also think it's great coming from a 4S, has worked flawlessly every single time I've used it. Only problem is remembering to use it and not swiping for passcode, but I'm getting there.

3. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I love it too. It's quick, and accurate. I like using the fingerprint to purchase apps to speed up the process. Will have to try the Amazon app.

4. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm using a 5 now and I knew I was gonna upgrade if just for Touch ID alone. I'm really tired of typing my code in public trying to look discreet.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Welcome to last year. ;)

I'm just teasing. It's great that you like it. It really is super convenient, and it seems like there are fewer of the paranoid "Apple is going to take my fingerprints and sell them to the government" people raining on the parade now.

6. Makala macrumors regular

It's great! :) Finally no more having to annoyingly type in my password every time I download an App.

7. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am right there with you. I keep trying to put the darn code in, then I remember it's only a finger touch away, lol.

I have not had one error so far through three days of constant use.

8. nathdogg macrumors regular

On another not, how are everyone's home buttons? Are they a bit clicky or is it just mine? My 4S home button was very spongy and didn't click at all.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I came from the 5 as well. I didn't have a passcode on my 5, or any other iPhone that I have owned. I am using the Touch ID lock now because A) I think it is cool and B) Once Apple Pay is up and running I would like to have as much security as possible*.

*I realize the most secure way would be not to use Apple Pay ;)

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, both the 5s and 6 home buttons have a louder, more physical click.

11. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Same here. I got the 6 for two reasons: touchid and the larger screen. I love it!

12. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Came from an iPhone 5 too and always had a passcode on my phones. I absolutely love Touch ID it works brilliantly.

13. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I'm making to jump from 5 to 6 too! Mine's on backorder. Can't wait! :D

Security? No worries. Tim has it covered!

Attached Files:

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm really amazed how quickly it picks up the fingerprint. Amazing piece of tech, honestly.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iPhones have always had cheap-feeling volume and mute buttons but now the home button is cheap too. I hate firm, clicky buttons. They don't feel satisfying to press or 'premium' in my opinion. The iPhone 4 and 4S were the last to have 'nice' home buttons IMO.

16. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

I also came from a iphone5 to the six.Never used the lock feature on the 5 but do on the 6 because the finger print scan is so easy.Had the 6 since launch and haven't had a problem. Really like this phone so far.

17. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I had a galaxy s5 which had something like Touch ID, but it was totally not functional. You had to hold the phone in one hand and swipe your finger across the scanner with the other. Even then, it'd only pick up your print should half the time. It's refreshing to see it the way it should be. Te iphone picks up my print every time, and I don't have to use two hands.

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

same here, coming from a 5 to a 6 and love the Touch ID. my wife never uses hers on her 5s. I used a passcode on my 5 and glad I don't have to use that anymore.

19. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Not really, the tech that Apple is using makes it more secure to use Apple Pay than to simply hand your credit card to the merchant. Literally the merchant (or Apple for that matter) never see your credit card details. It's pretty fantastic tech.

20. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is so weird, my wife doesn't either. She has a 5S and after setting it up initially, has never used it since.

I had a discussion with her this weekend about it when I was raving about touch ID. She would rather use the manual passcode, which blows my mind because it takes so much longer to do, whereas Touch ID is simply a touch of your finger. Boggles the mind.

21. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

And 1Password.

22. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I hate having a passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen but love the Touch ID for other things like App Store purchases and different Apps. Best solution I've found it so keep keep Passcode activated but turn off Touch ID for iPhone Unlock and set the Require Passcode to After 4 Hours. This way, it only asks me for the passcode once a day when I wake up.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds good to me. I haven't looked in to it much yet. I mostly put that disclaimer to ward off any potential trolls. :)

Thanks for the info!

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Nearly every pedestrian Apple user I have talked to about the 5S/6 have commented about loving the touch sensor.

Apple is miles ahead of everyone else on this technology.

25. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

I came from the 5 and got the 6 Plus...just as pleased as everyone else! Super convenient and a breeze. What's the kicker for me is as long as you're using that finger it works, not certain placement of the finger so sideways, upside down you name it! Looking forward to using TouchID more.