Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I upgraded my Mojave on a 2012 cMP to Big Sur via OpenCore and after running it for awhile, suddenly key shortcuts would appear for all menu items and there is a mic floating palette that appears to listen to the audio (not iSight mic) for commands.

These "functions" were not present under Mojave; I don't recall installing any app that provided this utility.

Is this baked into Big Sur? I searched Preferences, including Accessibility, and disabled Siri, but these "features" remain. Although the keyboard shortcuts may seem useful, I want to know how to disable it as it has become annoying seeing the shortcuts appear.

Can anyone identify the app(s) or OS X function in question via attached screen shots?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.01.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.01.09 AM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.05.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.05.14 AM.png
    102 KB · Views: 45

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
System Preferences/Accessibility/Voice Control
You should see that Overlay has Item Numbers selected. You can turn those off by changing Overlay to None.
Or, just uncheck Enable Voice Control. That will turn off those functions.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Thanks!

Though the Overlay was already set to "None." I've changed it back and forth through all settings, then back to "None" and they still appear no matter what; even when "Numbered Grid" is selected (it briefly shows the numbered grid then shows the "Item Numbers"). Could be a OS bug, or something involving the OpenCore install to get Big Sur working on cMPs.

Either way, at least the mystery is solved!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you don't need dictation - turn that off in System Preferences/Keyboard/Dictation tab.
And, if you don't use the Voice Control feature in the Accessibility pane/Voice Control - you can uncheck "Enable Voice Control to completely turn that off.

Finally - go to the Keyboard pane, then Dictation. The shortcut may be set so you might accidentally turn on Dictation, for example, by pressing the default Control Key twice. You can turn the shortcut OFF, so you don't accidentally turn that back on. (that can happen!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.