Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esotu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
I have a tough decision to make. I'm looking for a new computer before I go to college. I was going to build a PC for cheap, but the thought of Windows kept me from it. I can't help that I'm a Mac guy through and through. So I read about some people who took old G4s and upgraded them to make them pretty fast by todays standards. I was looking into that when I realized I wanted to build my own. I just couldn't get past the desire to "build my own computer." It just sounds right.

So I read the article on Macopz.com. I've been talking to a few people. I think I want to build a G4 - though I might buy one cheap and upgrade. My question is, if I put all this effort and money(it's over $1100 if I get 1.5GHz processor) into this computer, is it going to be able to keep up for 3 or 4 years to come? Will new G4 upgrades be made so my system can stay fresh? Am I going to do all of this only to get lost in the new 64bit craze?

Basically what I'm asking is - Is this investment going to last long enough to spend the money and time on it?

Also, does anyone know the relation of MHz between Mac and PC? I know that Macs have lower "MHz" but aren't necessarily slower. Are there any benchmarks that show how the Mac MHz are faster than the PC MHz? Or is this even true?

Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
When you're looking at $1100 for an upgraded SP 1.5GHz G4 vs. a refurbished Power Mac G5 1.6 GHz 256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/GigE/56K @ $1,399.00

At least you'll have a superdrive and better graphics card, on the newer architecture.

Depending on which system you are looking at, even a new DDR-based Superdrive eMac 1.25GHz for $1000 may be a better deal than a little more speed. Again with superdrive and better GPU.

Heck if you don't need the Superdrive you can shave off $200.

Plus the eMac becomes it's own theft deterent system with it's bulk.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I would try to get your hands on the 1.6 GHz G5 processor and build from there up :)

esotu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
I can't tell if you're joking or not. I'd love to build a G5 if possible...

I have a feeling it's not though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.